1. megan chickens

megan chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

Hey everyone! I had this great idea to use an old dog play pen as a chick pen. It works great. I bought it from a thrift store for $15 it use to have a top and bottom to go with it but the previous owners lost them. But no worries i just clipped my hens wings so she couldn't fly over the top, also i put rocks around the inside so it wouldn't blow away. I had originally bought it for my ferret to play in but he learned how to get out of it in a matter of seconds! I didn't want it just sitting their and wasting space. I love the idea because the chicks get to be outside learning how to be a chicken, and not penned up in the barn while waiting to get older to be with the other chickens. I also love it because the roster and other chickens cant get to them to try and kill them. Also the chicks wont get lost. I put them in the pen for a few hours every day. They have learned so much from their mom already! They also get needed sunshine and grass.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Good idea :) I have seen people use the "pack and play" for toddlers in this manner as well.

I just leave mama and the babies with the flock :)

3. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    I would totally leave mama and babies with flock but my roster will try and kill them. He only likes them when they are full grown. [​IMG] Also we have a lot of raccoons, fox, and coyotes and they will eat them for a snack. So i keep them in a pen in the barn till they are a few months old and can handle life without mom. But now with my dog pen they can be out in the world a little more.

4. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Wonderful Idea but how do they reach the zipper to get out? [​IMG]

5. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    haha very funny! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by