Great idea's for heating water,how about pictures?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by karlamaria, Oct 23, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I look through the links about keeping water from freezing, and yet do not see pictures. For those of us who are old and single and need pictures and instructions pictures tell the story. Please I'm trying to figure out how to keep water from freezing and though it's cool you all use this or that, it helps no one if you can not show pictures or explain how it works and how it's put together. Thanks I'm looking forward to learning and learning fast, snow is coming.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Try YouTube. There were tens if not hundreds of homemade chicken and dog water heater videos when I checked.

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Your probably right, but I can not seem to find pictures of dog dish waterers , and other video's on how to. I type in all kinds of stuff but only find a few. And this is a site to learn right? So that's why I posted this, to see pictures of what people have in there coops in deep winter.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Heated dog water bowls. There's alot of pictures online.

5. peachachecha

peachachecha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I too am concerned with an easy way to keep water unfrozen during the winter. Look at the thread "Need ideas for waterer heater", post 14. She says that she uses the heated dog bowl, fills it up with sand (an inch away from the top) and sets her water container in the sand that is warm thereby keeping the water from freezing. Another gentlman stated he too uses the heated dog bowl and has two water containers the same (ice cream tubs) that way he can just remove the old water and place the fresh water in the bowl. He does not state if he places sand or water in the bowl. I think I am going to go with the sand idea and then have an extra container for easy replacement. I ordered a dog bowl on amazon. Hope this helps. I will find out this winter if it works or not. I too am alone and have cardiac issues so need something that is easy.

6. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a05MZp7W4A&feature=player_embedded

Here
    is a link to youtube for a variation on the "flowerpot" water heater. I like this one because (I'm hoping) the light bulb makes the cinder block act sort of like a radiator. At the same time, the light from the bulb doesn't need to keep the girls up all night, since it is covered up by the waterer.

mm

7. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    The cookie tin heater pictured here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1242455#p1242455
    is wonderful. I used a popcorn tin so it was taller, kept the shavings out. But it kept the water liquid at -35F. I had a 3 gallon waterer sitting on top of the tin, the whole thing stayed thawed, not just the bottom half. I had tried all the fancy electric waterers, none worked. This was easy, cheap and reliable. I love it!

8. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Why do you need to add a dish or sand to the heated dog dish? I am planning on getting one of those and thought I would use it just like I would for a dog-add water? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  9. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I was worried that if I used a dog bowl alone my chicks would actually go into the water, in fact I am pretty sure they would if I have learned anything about chicks beahvour in the past 4 weeks [​IMG]. Maybe older birds would not...I've read a lot on this site that used the dog dish alone.

10. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    Quote:My guess would be that sand would act as an insulator and also keep chickens from messing with the heater. Great idea and very timely since we expect a major snow storm here tues or wednesday. Tally Ho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by