1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great! Just Great!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by annie3001, Dec 9, 2010.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Okay, so I got my brand new incubator the other day, waiting for the turner in the mail. I am planning on hatching eggs sometime in late january.[​IMG] Well tonight I go outside to check on the water inside the coop etc. and theres the same rir sitting in the nesting box (for hours now) sitting on eggs!!![​IMG] In december!!Great! (not really). So should i steal the eggs from her. She is only sitting on 2. She made a squeaky noise when i moved her. Wasnt planning for this. what to do, what to do. [​IMG]

so give me advice please!

yes let her sit on them! ?
    no remove the eggs now! ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Thats what I've been doing with my broody FBCM hen. Mine lets me take them, then I call her off her nest and make sure she eats and drinks.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not much help, am I? [​IMG]

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I tried to let mine sit - she switched nests & the eggs got cold w/ 3 days to go.

I'll wait until spring from now on.

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:with our cold freeze here in connecticut about 15 degrees, thats what i am afraid of too.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Let her set her eggs. If she gives up too soon, what have you lost? If she successfully hatches them, look what you've gotten: fulfilled and happy hen, plus some chicks!

Chickens actually can raise young in the winter, especially if they have a coop in which to live!

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:This morning I went out to the coop, to check the water and check on my chicken. She got off the nest/eggs and was on the roost with the others. So I felt the eggs, they were very cold, so I took them in the house. Put them in the fridge. I dont know how long she was off the eggs? Could she have still hatched or was it too cold, and because she left the nesting box?

btw it was reading 9 degrees outside this morning! brrrrr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by