Great! Just Great!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by annie3001, Dec 9, 2010.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Okay, so I got my brand new incubator the other day, waiting for the turner in the mail. I am planning on hatching eggs sometime in late january.[​IMG] Well tonight I go outside to check on the water inside the coop etc. and theres the same rir sitting in the nesting box (for hours now) sitting on eggs!!![​IMG] In december!!Great! (not really). So should i steal the eggs from her. She is only sitting on 2. She made a squeaky noise when i moved her. Wasnt planning for this. what to do, what to do. [​IMG]

so give me advice please!

yes let her sit on them! ?
    no remove the eggs now! ?
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Thats what I've been doing with my broody FBCM hen. Mine lets me take them, then I call her off her nest and make sure she eats and drinks.
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not much help, am I? [​IMG]
  4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
  5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I tried to let mine sit - she switched nests & the eggs got cold w/ 3 days to go.

I'll wait until spring from now on.
  6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Quote:with our cold freeze here in connecticut about 15 degrees, thats what i am afraid of too.
  7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Let her set her eggs. If she gives up too soon, what have you lost? If she successfully hatches them, look what you've gotten: fulfilled and happy hen, plus some chicks!

Chickens actually can raise young in the winter, especially if they have a coop in which to live!
  8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Quote:This morning I went out to the coop, to check the water and check on my chicken. She got off the nest/eggs and was on the roost with the others. So I felt the eggs, they were very cold, so I took them in the house. Put them in the fridge. I dont know how long she was off the eggs? Could she have still hatched or was it too cold, and because she left the nesting box?

btw it was reading 9 degrees outside this morning! brrrrr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by