great layer stopped 4 months ago and she is only 1 year old?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nyumbakuku, Jul 4, 2016.

1. nyumbakuku

nyumbakuku Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    My EEer was my best layer. Almost an egg a day. She stopped cold turkey about 4 months ago and has not laid since then. She seems fine otherwise. Happy and enjoys life. She will sit on the nest some days but nothing. thoughts? Kathryn

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Could the eggs be getting eaten?

3. nyumbakuku

Apr 25, 2015
    No unfortunately. It is a very secure coop and all of them lay in the same box (they have more than one, but prefer to say in the same one). Even if she were laying hers elsewhere, i would see them.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Sometimes chickens will eat their own eggs, especially if they aren't getting proper nutrition.

What does she eat? Does she free range? What about the other hens? How many chickens do you have, and how old?

5. nyumbakuku

Apr 25, 2015
    there are only 4 and their coop and run are pretty spacious, but i can see and am in all parts several times a day. I see no evidence that she is eating her eggs. The other 3 lay great and they all eat the same layer feed. They are truly urban backyard chickens - meaning watched pretty regularly (I'm retired). In addition to their feed they eat our compost, fresh corn, yoguart and cottage cheese.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    EE's can be sporadic and undependable layers, as they are a cross between who knows what breeds.
    I have a couple that lay regularly for a few weeks then take a few weeks off, they also laid well at first.

Have you examined her nether regions for any obvious problems with vent and/or abdomen and/or pests?

7. nyumbakuku

Apr 25, 2015
    I have not closely examined her, but from most outward appearances she is fine. I will try to grab her and get a better look. She acts perfectly normal. Thanks, K

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, she's probably just a slacker.....every flock has one or some.

9. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

Yup, my slackers are my Black Copper Marans, they got beautiful Dark brown medium size eggs. They will lay straight for 2-3 months then quit for a month or two then starts again, luckily I got 3 of them so they alternate. I always get at least one in my dozen tray to show off to friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by