Great Neighbors

Widget

Songster
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Limington, Maine
I know many people on here have had issues with their neighbors. Just thought I would let everyone know that I happen to have a great neighbor.
Between the two of us we have several acres of land. Lately there has been a fox hanging around and helping itself to my chickens and ducks. I've spent countless hours trying to reinforce the coop and attached run. After installing hot wire around the fence last week what is left of my flock has been safe. But the fox has remained determined.
In the past few days he has become bolder and has been hanging out in my neighbors field, my field and trotting down the edge of the road between our two houses. Yesterday one of my dogs chased him back into the woods. But today was the last straw. My neighbor, who works from home, watched the fox napping in her yard and then get up and go into my horses' corral. Naturally my horses thought that the fox was a fun thing to play with. My neighbor called the game warden asking if her son could shoot the fox. We live in an area where there is no hunting or trapping so she wanted to see if she could get permission to take care of the pesky critter. But because it was on my land she was told no. Even the game warden couldn't take a shot without my permission. So tonight I gave both the green light to shoot on sight.
I hate to do it but the fox is rapidly losing its fear of people and has taken more than twenty chickens and ducks in the past few weeks. It is very scruffy looking and more than likely has a bad case of mange. According to the game warden this is one of the reasons why the fox is constantly looking for a meal. He isn't overly concerned with rabies but doesn't rule it out either. Once we get the fox we will get it tested by the state for rabies. Better safe than sorry.
Too bad we can't all have neighbors who look out for one another instead of complaining about every little thing. I'd love to repay them with some fresh eggs but I am down to two roosters, one pullet too young to lay and one who just started.

I am lucky enough to have a few neighbors like yours. I have them on my "egg payroll".
lau.gif
They don't want to lose their free fresh eggs, so they help keep an eye on my birds.

Back
Top Bottom