Great new chicken game!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Sep 10, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Take 16 linear feet of roost space, 10 linear feet of chicken and combine. Simple you say? Factor in that every other chicken will shove the next chicken off the roost to the floor below. Getting wilder, eh? Now add in a kitten that nonchalantly wanders by the coop. This acts like a fruit basket turnover and means every chicken must move one space to the right and bagawk like crazy. Game over when every chicken stays in one place and settles down quietly muttering to herself.

This apparently is our new bedtime routine.

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Oh my gosh! [​IMG] You are to funny!!! I cant wait until I get my coop done..Then I can play the chicken game to [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That's good! [​IMG] I could just picture it. My crew is crazy at bedtime too! I have one "Mother Hen" who thinks she HAS to have the edge next to the wall. Less hens to annoy her I guess! LOL So she puts up a big ruckus until I move things around. "BAWWWKKKKKK" She says! In all her loudness! AND I have two roosts and do you think they would use the bottom one!? NOOOO They all have to squeeze on the top one! [​IMG] And then we have my giant boy cochin who thinks I need to put him up on the roost every night! He can't jump that high! [​IMG] I also help him down in hopes of avoiding bumblefoot!

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yeah, it's quite the madhouse around here at bedtime. To make it worse, I just switched them all into the new coop. The original coop had about 9 linear feet of roost, so you'd think the new place would be easy! Nope. The first night of transition you would have thought I was plucking them bald feather by feather or trying to pull their little toenails out. You have never heard or seen such pitiful birds. One by one I gently took them off the old roost and carried them to the new. I'd turn around and go back for the next one and the first would hop off the roost and run around the run squalking. Eventually they all ended up in the corner by the old hen house and were flinging themselves against the wire. Determined little suckers! It was well and truly dark before I got everyone back on the new roosts. Even then they were cursing me under their breath and all fighting to be on the top 8' of roost.
    The coop has four 4' roost that stairstep up to the top. The highest one is about 4' off the ground and the lowest is at 1'. Nobody uses the lowest. They prefer to cram together on the top two if possible. Of course Speedy the Sebright routinely gets shoved to the floor. As do some of the others. Speedy usually gets shoved entirely out of the coop. It's sad. I'm guessing she's low hen in the pecking order as she never gets to roost where she wants.
    Crazy little chickens...

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL.. thats so funny. Mine each have their spots picked out. But the ones in the middle are the last ones to bed. So, they have to climb over a few others, which for some reason makes them ALL feel the need to take 2 steps to the right, then 2 loud steps to the left. I almost think their should be square dance music on at bedtime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by