1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great new pooper scooper!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chick named Lola, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I got the idea watching Pitbulls and Parolee's the other night...so I went to the dog section and picked up this nifty little item and I LOVE IT!!! I'm done with my poop scooping duties in 1/2 the time! It cost my $19.99 and to me, well worth every penny.

[​IMG]

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I love re-purposing dog products for chickens! My automatic chicken waterer is actual a $12 dog waterer from WalMart!

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Got it and love it. [​IMG] I put what I scooped from their sand run and toss onto a homemade strainer of sorts that is sitting on top of a big kitty litter bucket to save the non--poopy sand. Its great you posted it to share!!

4. Chick named Lola

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    chickerdoodle, do you happen to have a pic of your strainer? That's a great idea! I just spent this past Sat. hauling 7 bags of paver sand to make sure I have great drainage etc... and the less I have to do that the better!

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    This also works great. It takes me just a few minutes to de-poop the coop shavings. It's actually easier to me than having poop boards. I just scoop up the nice rows of poop under the roosts.

[​IMG]

6. Chick named Lola

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I have that but for me in the sandy run, the poops seem to fall right thru....[​IMG]

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Try something like this:

[​IMG]

It's a litter scoop they make for reptile tanks with sand substrate, taped to a long handle. Works perfectly. You could do the same thing with a plain kitchen strainer.

8. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Awesome! I'm assuming though that this would not work for ducks, lol. I am in search of an easier way , but the poop just kind of soaks in and stays wet on the woodchips/shavings!! yuck

9. Chick named Lola

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks elmo! Great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by