1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great News in Pinebluff, NC

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by 3KillerBs, Mar 16, 2013.

1. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    I just got great news from the guy at the feed store who owns 200 bantams just out of town and is husband to the new mayor and father-in-law of the police chief. While they had been banning chickens inside town limits under the "no farm operations" ordinance someone more politically adept than I am pointed out that banning small flocks of backyard laying hens under that ordinance would require also banning home gardens.

There is no official, written policy but the unwritten policy is no roosters, no raising for sale (birds or eggs), butchering to be done discreetly out of sight without letting birds flop around. You're OK if no neighbors complain and neighbor complaints will be evaluated for reasonableness under noise, nuisance, and sanitation ordinances. So a few, well-kept hens should present no problems -- the town officials are far more worried about the people who let their dogs roam loose than about the handful of backyard laying flocks inside town limits.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's great to see folks with common sense in positions where they can do something positive.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by