Great night.........good morning! :D

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Harley's girl, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Tuesday morning I got up and found a baby opossum in my box trap! So that's one down, that night I got its mama eating on my front porch (she was helping herself to my pears and apples) 2 down! Later on that night we went out and found 2 skunks in the pasture headed to the coop! That's 4 down!!!! And then this morning I caught a HUGE coon with the dead baby opossum for bait! That's 5 vermin.....gone!!! YEA!!!! [​IMG] I sure hope things get back to normal. My little Sylvia was attacked by a skunk last Thursday. She is still hanging on. I am sure glad to see some carcasses laying about! It smells but it is so worth it! [​IMG]

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] Good for you!!!

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    LOL, that's awesome! I have about 6-7 hawks in my area, JUST in my area....but that's illegal....so I'm stuck. And there's a fox running around somewhere, only seen him twice....

4. Harley's girl

I have heard that if you get a Great Horned Owl statue it will scare off the hawks. I have seen them for sale at Rural King. Good luck to you.

And thanks guys! I thought about posting pics of all the carnage....but then thought nah, they don't need to be glorified and looked at. After they are what attacked my poor little Sylvia! [​IMG] Writing about their timely death is good enough. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Harley's girl :

I have heard that if you get a Great Horned Owl statue it will scare off the hawks.

I doubt that. We have a Great Horned Owl roosting on our property and hunting at night. And a Red Tailed Hawk hunting our pasture almost every day.​

6. Harley's girl

Quote:I doubt that. We have a Great Horned Owl roosting on our property and hunting at night. And a Red Tailed Hawk hunting our pasture almost every day.

Drat!
    A few weeks ago we had a juvenile great horned owl looking in the coops!!!! I have not seen any hawks but I dont want an owl either! LOL Can't they (vermin) just go live some where else. Like....say........the moon! LOL [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    The only thing a Great Horned Owl statue does is give the pigeons and other vermin a perch! Hawks poop on them just to say they can!

8. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Good for You!! Hate those nasty little vermin. [​IMG]

9. Harley's girl

Quote:[​IMG] I have learned something new! [​IMG] Thanks guys! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by