Great! now i'm going to scortch/freeze the chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenrandomness, Jul 1, 2011.

1. setting up for chicks tomarrow! i got my brooder almost ready, all i need to do is make a little window and to find the perfect height for the heat lamp, but i can't my find my thermometer! its gone from where i last left it 3 weeks ago! (i was on vacation)

i have another thermometer, but its supposed to be used to check the temp of food and it has proven to be useless with telling temps for incubation and brooding

what do i do?

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    A lizard tank thermometer is what I used. Mine is digital with a long wire probe. I attatched the screen away from the chicks and dangled the probe in. They are at all pet stores.

3. MillieKay

MillieKay New Egg

May 26, 2011
    I actually haven't needed to bother with a thermometer in my brooder. The chicks tell me how they are feeling: bunched up under the lamp = too cold. Fanned out away from the heat = too hot.

Then again, I live in West Texas, where my house regularly gets into the 90's when the sun is up...

4. Quote:i guess i could do that

5. MillieKay

MillieKay New Egg

May 26, 2011
    Yeah, worst case scenario, try the chicks-as-thermometer system. It's just a little more labor intensive, at least at first--you may have to watch the chicks for 15 or 20 minutes after you adjust the light. However, once the light's in a good spot, you don't have to keep checking or adjusting it, so it's not much effort after that.

6. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    go to walmart or grocery store and get an oven thermometer that is used for checking oven temps if you cannot make it to your local feed store or tractor supply type of store. I would definitely use one. It has been a great help to me and it takes the guess work out of the equation. If you don't you will constantly be checking on them and worrying. The temp changes in our brooder during the day because of sun light coming through the windows and it also changes according to our a/c and what we have it set to if its on. I would be doing a lot of freaking out if I didn't have it because some of the chicks like to be warmer than others so some lay right under the lamp and others are on the outskirts. Just my opinion but I find it most useful!! Good luck with your new babies!!

7. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree. [​IMG]....When it's hot like this, and interior house temperature changes, you'll be checking them often whether you have a thermometer or not. The chicks will let you know. I wouldn't make a special trip for it. Not when gas prices are what the are!

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I didn't need a thermometer. The chicks are pretty good indicators if you have the right temps. They will peep too loudly if they are cold. They will also stay far away from the light at the edge of the brooder and hang their wings if too hot. I put the light in the corner of the brooder, that way they had a choice if they wanted the light or no light. I had all different ages in there, so it worked out well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by