Great - Now What?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Reyvaughn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I had some eggs shipped to me to put under my OEGB. They arrived today and guess what? She broke her brood. She hasn't been in the box all day. So, I was wondering if anyone has taken a broody who just hatched chicks and successfully had her lay on eggs for another 21 days?

I have these two Silkies that just hatched ten bantam Cochins and two of their own eggs. The one is hoarding the chicks and the other was left the eggs that aren't developed. I was going to see how Pearl would handle sitting on eggs again/yet. I know, she could refuse and there goes her brood, too. But, I was hoping maybe someone had a success story of doing this. And since she is a Silkie, maybe that'd help the cause.

Any chance it'll work?

2. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    i mean broodiness is a hormonal condition, the same hormones that trigger ovulation in humans, and they aren't easy to control or stop. maybe she will maybe she wont... but arent silkies SUPERBRODERS [​IMG]? If you have more than one silkie, might as well try them both... Just have to get lucky... Its their hormones, not yours.

3. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Well. I am trying it. Right now she's freaking because she can't find the babies. I was going to take her away from them on Tuesday when she still had the eggs. She may not take these new eggs and then... I dunno.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by