Great Pallet Score

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KDK1, Nov 16, 2011.

1. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My neighbor across the street, who is in the process of building a house, gave me 14, super heavy duty, standard size pallets that quickrete came on and two 4' X 12' pallets that the hardy siding came on. One of them is topped with full ¾"X6" boards and the other is topped with 2X4s... and a 16' 2X6 that has a few nails in it... but hey, I'll pull a few nails. I see a brooder in my future! What a score!
    [​IMG]

2. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    cool

Good luck with pulling the nails.

It's not impossible, but some can be difficult.

If possible, try building something with the intact pallet so you don't have to pull nails.

3. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    Sweet I just built this out of pallets [​IMG]

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup... not my first go-around with pallets, but being a carpenter for 35 yrs, I've got the proper tools and know-how! All I need now is the time. The 4X12s are getting dis-assembled where they sit... those puppies are HEAVY. The 4X4s are about 70 lbs. ea.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I hear ya on the nails, boy are they a royal pain in the butt! I made my Silkie coop out of pallets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is not Home & Garden pretty, but my Silkies are warm & safe.

Plus, the only tools I had were a Jig Saw, Drill, Cordless Screw Driver, Hammer & Hacksaw and a Palm Sander.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I like pallets. My neighbor works in an iron foundry, and brought home a pallet that was 8ft wide and 16ft long made out of 2x6's and had 16ft 6x6's underneath for skids. He's going to use it as a base for a shed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by