Great Pryenees Owners. I need training advice.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 4 Love of Baby Chickens, Sep 20, 2009.

1. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm getting a beautiful female 5 month old Great Pryenees this saturday. I can't wait!!!!!!!!! I need advice to train this pretty girl. I already have the food, the collar, the leash, the tag and a rope toy for her to chew on. I'm naming her Koda. She's snow white and from what the lady who's selling her to me has told me on the phone is that she is VERY watchful and is a sweetheart.

But I need training advice in order to train her. Great Pryenees owners can you please help me out with training Koda.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  3. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

Thanks Bear Foot Farm for the information. It's really helpful. Anyone else?

4. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Do a search for Mountain Man Jim's posts here. His advice was excellent. Haven't seen him in a while, actually...

5. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    What's her background? Was she raised around poultry?

6. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    There are a few different approaches people take. With our boy, Ludwig, I wanted him to get along great with the family as well as guard the chickens, goats, horses, etc. He was 9 weeks old when we got him, and it was November, the beginning of the rainy/crappy weather season. He slept inside at night, but really wanted to be out during the day (very muddy puppy!). We crate trained him when he was wee, but as he matured (housebroken, etc.), he didn't need it anymore. By 4 mos. old, he preferred to be outside almost all the time. He's 5 now, and has a bad knee (acrutiate ligament), so I limit how much he can run up and down the fenceline. He spends about 2/3 his time out, the rest in. He's a really good boy, and I just [​IMG] him!

7. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

Anyone else? Please I need to adsorb as much training information before I get Koda this Saturday.

8. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

Please? Pretty please? - is begging for training info-

9. boaz

boaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Woodville, MS
    We have two GPs that are 7 months old. Are your 20 chickens allowed to range or are they in a fenced area? I ask about the set-up and this may be a deja vu moment in terms of other responders. There are issues of bonding to the animals to be guarded and also a need to expand territory. Our two GPs behave quite differently when on tie lines as opposed to unrestrained. When tied, chickens can walk on them and peacocks can eat their food. When taken off the line, the two are in the pond trying to catch ducks, chasing quail and running the woods. There has been a gradual improvement as we let them run a couple of times a day with us present.

I will defer to the experts as to the best method of training.

10. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

My chickens are in their coop and run. I would LOVE to free-range them but maybe after I get Koda trained maybe just maybe I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by