1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great Pyreenee dog guard or an alternative breed ? ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pascopol, May 9, 2009.

1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I intend to aquire a flock dog guard (not a herding dog) to protect my chicks from predators.

I know Great Pyreenees are great for this purpose, but I would prefer smaller dog (in 40 - 60lb range). Also I am not sure if Pyrenee dog would be comfortable in Florida heat due to their long haired coat and fur like coat.

There is no coyotes or bears here, just occasional coon and lots of hawks.

Can anybody suggest a dog breed to suit my needs?

Thanks.

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Most of the dedicated livestock guardians are huge or huge and really hairy. But many do come from very hot places regardless of that. Kept brushed most of the white breeds do pretty well in heat.

"I want these instincts in a smaller breed - doesn't much work."

The LGD's are generally large because it adds to their effectiveness. Anatolians aren't particularly heavy coated and might suit.

Small and LGD just isn't really a thing.

With any other breed - it's up to the individual dog and your training skills over their breed's original purpose and instincts. Unfortunately dogs are not flavors of ice cream.

One man's border collie is a better predator than a coyote and another will guard his chickens.

One man's shepherd lays with chicks and another's views them as small chew toys.

Standard Poodles can work out with the right breeder, individual and training, but they don't like to do the "out all night and all day in the field thing" that LGDs are content with.

Once you go outside breeds bred dedicatedly to that one purpose and reared that way - you are making a bet and shifting the odds MARKEDLY.

There's a Livestock Guardian Group on the Yahoo groups list. They're useful people to talk to.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I live in Southeast arkansas and my great pyrenese really suffered with the heat. He spent his days in and out of the creek, then he smelled like an old wet mop. He died in his third summer with heart failure.

4. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Our Pyrenees is slobbery, huge, chases chickens, and will bite and growl at any one or thing that gets in the way of his food. Our Pyrennes/Australian shepherd cross is the perfect dog and does the opposite of our purebred. She is around 60 lb and has short fur.

5. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Heart failure and cardiac diseases in general, are often precipitated by a marked or progressive inability to tolerate heat.

Heat or extreme cold often are incompatible with cardiac disease and circulatory issues.

I'd suggest going to Yahoo, joining LGD-L and talking to the people that keep them routinely in the deserts and the South.

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    My Pyr pup is safe with even the youngest of chicks. So are two of my shepherds. The third is pretty sure they are either food or interesting chew toys.

The border collie/JRT is excellent with them now that she's over 12. Until about then she was a tad rough and better with cattle.

The australian cattle dog/JRT and the Frenchbulldog/Chihuahua are varmint dogs and kill any they catch if I'm not there, but both call off on command.

Other breeds are luck of the draw, yes, even among LGD's some will and some won't. But in a purpose bred breed - part of the idea is that they're long term bred from dogs that do the work and it increases the odds.

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    <------ we use these 3.

8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Would somebody post a link to Yahoo group dealing with Livestock Guardian Dogs please?

9. lone cedar farm

lone cedar farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Menlo, Ga.
    I too would like a GP for our farm but I believe they would suffer here also however I do see them around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by