1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great Pyrenees Chasing Semis

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bigredfeather, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have a one year old, male GP. He is an excellent dog except for the fact that he has been chasing semi trucks that drive by our house. I realize I could pen him up to stop it, but that would make it hard for him to protect my free ranging flock. I have caught him doing it twice, but I know he does it during the day when I'm not home. Each time I caught him doing it, I really scolded him and penned him up for a day or two. That has not worked.

Any suggestions?

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    sorry, but he needs to be fenced. These dogs are known to roam and chase predators. Perhaps he thinks the truck is after his chickens. At any rate, scolding him won't do any good. He needs to be fenced for his own protection. And for yours too. Think about what would happen if he caused an accident because of running into the road. They would come after you. So fence that dog to protect him and yourself.

3. Mzyla

Mzyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Like Carolinagirl is saying; he need to be either fenced, or put on a long runner, or something...
    That's the first one I heard; dog chasing semis!
    And that is one dangerous behavior. Sorry that this happened to your dog.
    Maybe he forgets about this when he gets older and when he'll be confined for some time.
    I really don't know what else to tell you.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Thanks.
    If penning him up is the only way, I may as well find him a new home. I can't stand the idea of penning a dog up, especially when I have over 5 acres for him to run, and he won't be able to guard the flock.

Thanks again.

5. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Could you just build a fence along the road? I don't know the layout but that way you at least have some protection from the semis.

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    fence along the road. Put up an electric fence and boundary train him to the 5 acres. There are many ways to handle a dog chasing cars. It will require a lot of work on your part, but will be well worth it. ANY dog you ever own will need the same precautions to make sure that he stays out of the road and out of trouble. Since you have already let him develop this bad habit, it will be harder than if he was trained from the beginning. You won't regret putting the work into him though.

Think of it this way, he isn't exactly "guarding the flock" if he is chasing semis on the highway is he?

7. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Is your 5 acres fenced? if not, can you fence in the area for your chickens?

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Fence the whole 5 acres if you want him to roam. but I'm pretty certain the birds aren't using it all anyway.

I've got 44 acres and my birds hardly ever get more than 200 ft from the coop

If you can't fence him in , then I agree you should find him a good home with a good fence

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by