Great Pyrenees Puppies How are they as a family pet?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jenlynn4, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I have read that they are about the best farm/family dog you can get. What do you all think? Does anyone have one that can give me some personal experinces? I am really considerring getting one. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks! JEN

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    My sister just got one this week! They're susposed to be great dogs! I bet her puppy is as big as my full grown Westie. It's big! Google it, I did earlier this week, but I don't remember it all.. I do know you're right with the great family and farm dog! I would just hate the feed bill. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I would hope that you have a big house! I have a Lab and a Lab mix, and really they're too big for our little house! lol

I suggest using a really high quality kibble, or feeding raw, otherwise you'll be dealing with a huge amount of poop!!!

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We have a 10 month old female GP They are lovable dogs it is true but they can be bullheaded. SOmetimes you can call that dog until your blue in the face and she will look at you with a look that says You really want me way over there. Ours was bought for the farm but DH has had her in the house so she does both. She just recently started staying outside at night. While she was a pup we fed her pedigree puppy twice a day and she did fine she is very large Even now she really doesnt eat much more than our full size collie. A little hint for some reason when she was yunger she would upset and carry off all the water bowls. I cleaned up so much water in the kitchen. A few friends that have pups say theirs did the same thing. She still will pick up the water bowl if I dont watch her. Otherwise they are great with kids alittle rough on the livestock until they realize they are not chew toys but they can be taught. Our Marley's favorite sport is to flush the freerange banties. She doesnt hurt them she just likes to hear them scream and flutter away.

5. rrhall

rrhall Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    We just got a puppy,it is a Anatolian/Pyrenees mix,I think he has more Pyrenees in him.We are raising him up to be a Livestock Guard dog,he sleeps and lives outside with the goats in their pen.You are going have to spend time every day working with them,I'm talking we spend at least one hour or more a day working with him.They are puppy's and they are full of puppy energy.and behave just like a kid.They get so big and when they play they can get rough at times,not in a mean way,it 's just when they bump into something chances are it is going to move or scare it. Are older goats have gotten pretty rough with him a few times,you hate to see them do it,but they have to keep him in line.We have one young Pygmy goat named Billy that he still gets rough with from time to time and we have to correct him or Billy runs over next to one of the older goats and the horse playing stops pretty quick.He does a lot better with the chickens,he got horsing around and one of my Buckeye Roos put a flogging on him and he has not even thought about going down that road again.The best thing we found is help him burn some of that energy off,we have him follow us when we do are chores,he helps with feeding the chickens and goats.He goes in the chicken coops with us and this way the chickens get use to him and he gets more use to them.We also take him out and let him run around in the side lot a few times a day,we free range some of are birds and tonight I had one of my Buckeye Roos go with us,those of you who have Buckeyes know what I'm talking about,that roo is just like a puppy it will follow you everywhere and it was funny they were both digging around in the weeds.This is the first time we have had a LGD and so far he has been a joy to have around,we are planing on getting him neuter at 5 months.

His name is Nugent,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of him and Billy when we first got him,he is the same size now or a little bigger then Billy now,and Tucker who does not put up with to much horse playing.

[​IMG]

6. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    I have had 2 Pyr's. My male was super great with my kids, he would let them climb all over him and never move. He also used to let my chihuahua beat him up though lol. He was an amazing guard dog, those coyotes couldnt get near the house with him out there. My female that i still have though....pain in my butt is putting it lightly. She doesnt guard that well and has a not so good temperment. She likes to herd my kids around the yard which isnt so bad, none of them can get more than 20feet away from me, but she is dang rough about it. Tallulah flipped my 6yr old up into the air over the summer bc she ran around him and head butted him much like a goat sending him flying. then she ran over him leaving him with scratches. She was so proud of herself for stoppin him from running but I was a little irritated that he was bleeding and scared to death of her. I have to pen her now if they are outside playing bc she is just a little too rough lol. I know she means well though, i need to get her some baby goats to beat up on.

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Look what I got yesterday! Drove all day! We went 4.5 hours one way to get her. But it was worth it!

[​IMG]

8. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I had one for years when I was in high school and she was a great dog. The only problem you can have is that they WANDER. She did love us, but she had no concept of territory and would wander off unless carefully supervised. On the positive side, there was not a mean bone in her body, and any child could do anything to her and she gladly accepted it with a wagging tail and her silly panting smile.

I miss you Belle!!

[​IMG]

9. Melissakins

Melissakins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have a friend with four. She just lost one back in December. She and three of the others were show dogs. One was a pet. One has her Championship and showed for a while as a special, but has been retired from the show life [​IMG] Now we're showing 2 (brother/sister) that are just under 2.

Pyrs are good dogs, but, you know what they say about one without a fence or a leash/collar on....they call 'em a Disa-pyr [​IMG]

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Quote:She's beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by