Great Pyrenees - to buy or not to buy?

Pics

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, new to the forum. I have 27 lovely chickens, 5 goats, and one dog (friendly dingo-shepherd mix). We do have foxes, bears, and large coyowolves here. I lost one hen last summer, not sure what happened to her. The different animals mostly get along mingling in the barn. The pyrenees seems to be the most popular breed in my area (northeast ohio) for protecting herds from predators. However, the breeders I have spoken to (one a backyard breeder, and one an AKC breeder) both said their puppies' parents have killed chickens. How much of the dog's behavior is nature and how much is nurture? Also unrelated to chickens, Pyrenees are known for running off, and I don't think I can handle a dog with no recall, it would be too stressful for me if it got out and I had to chase it across town (if it survived the cars). Also, I know myself and I would not have the time or patience to devot to extensive training. (The way I trained my current dog, I told him loudly, if he peed in the house again, I was taking him back to the pound. He got the message.) My current dog is pretty good about alerting me to predators, and I imagine I could just go outside and shoot them if there was a problem. I work from home and currently sleep in the barn. While wildlife predators are a threat, I'm actually more concerned with human predators. What do you think?

Last edited:
If you don't have the time for extensive training, I would not get a great Pyrenees. They are lovely, but by purpose of the breed can have aggression issues. This is what they're made for. If you can't do daily handling and introductions of animals and children and lots of strangers - I would put that breed on the back burner and go a different route.

As you've said you don't have the time / patience to do a lot of extensive training so I wouldn't bother. While they may have great instincts to be a protecter, apparently it's more geared towards larger livestock and you have to do more work with them to get them to guard chickens and other poultry.
And yes, they are big roamers and can jump most fencing.

If you don't have the time for extensive training, I would not get a great Pyrenees. They are lovely, but by purpose of the breed can have aggression issues. This is what they're made for. If you can't do daily handling and introductions of animals and children and lots of strangers - I would put that breed on the back burner and go a different route.
Hi thanks for addressing my inquiry. Let me clarify, I spend a ton of quality time with my dingo-shepherd mix; he goes on all my errands and trips with me, and he is extremely friendly. All the cashiers at Home Depot and TSC have treats ready for him. However I did not have the discipline to do any formal training exercises with him; we flunked basic obedience school. Still a no-go with the pyrenees?

I could just go outside and shoot them if there was a problem.
Please don't. Wildlife existing and doing wildlife things is not a problem. People keeping unprotected prey animals is the problem. Looking for a guardian dog is a great response to this, as is fencing your chickens in (electric fencing works great). Good luck and I hope you find the right dog for your needs!

Please don't. Wildlife existing and doing wildlife things is not a problem. People keeping unprotected prey animals is the problem. Looking for a guardian dog is a great response to this, as is fencing your chickens in (electric fencing works great). Good luck and I hope you find the right dog for your needs!
Bought electric fence. Would Anatolians be better?

Back
Top Bottom