Great reason to have a moveable coop/run!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by babyrnlc, Sep 24, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Right after you move it, your kids can sit in the run and play with chickens! [​IMG]

This is my 5 year old hanging out! (You can see in the back ground what 1 week does to the ground, but it recovers quickly!) We have 20 chickens right now (most are chicks and we are going back down as soon as my friend gets their coop built!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonderful reason. [​IMG]

3. SirFarmAlot

SirFarmAlot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Very nice. What size is that tractor and how do you move it?

4. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    Very cute and so are your chickens!

lovinlife, you look just like my Q-tip [​IMG]

5. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:The run is 8x14, the coop is 8x4. We have 6 wheels. (Three on each side). We used as light of wood as possible and the roof is plastic roofing instead of tiles. It is still heavy and takes two of us to move, but with two it is easy. One gets at teh coop and pushes and one lifts the front by the door and pushes.

We have a great space that will take about 6 moves (which is 6 weeks) and the first one has recovered completely when it is time to start over.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh, who are you kidding? Haven't you been here long enough to learn about chicken math? You'll replace the ones your friend takes with twice as many. Wait and see..... [​IMG]

7. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Here is the side view to see the wheels. We have changed it some since this picture. I Changed the roofing (put corrugated plastic under it) and I lined the inside with corrugated plastic for insulation for the winter and to make it washable. Also I had one silly EE that would lay her egg standing up and so it was always slightly cracked/dented, since I lined the nest boxes too, we do not get any cracked eggs (before they would also move all the bedding out [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

8. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:Oh, who are you kidding? Haven't you been here long enough to learn about chicken math? You'll replace the ones your friend takes with twice as many. Wait and see..... [​IMG]

Oh yeah, I learned the math. that is why we have 20 chickens, when we wanted 4! We had 2, got 3 and then 6 chicks. Gave some away, ended with 9 hens. Decided we wanted some dark eggs, so went to get a welsummer, but he had some other cool chickens, so we came home with the wellie, 2 brabanters, 2 salmon faverolles, and then he had 4 chicks for $10 (2 bo and 2 white leghorns) so we were up to 18 chickens. Then we found out the wellie is probably a brown leghorn, so we decided to get some marans pullets. Got two of those and they turned out to be roos, so we are probably going to somehow get two pullets. BUT we have to go down to 12 or at least 14 before the winter. That coop is too small for 20 full grown chickens!

9. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    did you build it? if you bought it, i'd like to know where.

10. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:We built it. First we had an 4x12 tractor for our 4 chickens, well when the flock started growing, we made the coop part (it ws 4x4 two story and then built this as a run. It was 8x14 (lumber sizes). Then it was a hassle to move the other coop and this run (that we had connected with a wire tube lol) so I decided to covert the run into a tractor itself and the made it 8x4 (the size of OSB!) and just added supports, then put the roof on, the nest boxes are inside, with a door access on the outside.

I am happy with it, but if I built it from scratch, I would do somethings differently.

Here is the inside where the nest boxes are. we hace since lined it with the corrugated plastic and I put a "roof" on the nest boxes so they would quit perching on them and pooping on them lol.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by