Great remedy for hot birds

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
I know heat can be very dangerous for chickens. We had 95 degree humid weather today and more of the same tomorrow. I had two of my Rocks who started panting so I was obviously quite concerned for them. They had watermelon and water but they still got warm. I took a bin and put a few inches of water in it and took them, one by one, and made them sit down in the water. I held them there, and they did not protest, for a few minutes. After a few minutes I let them go and they were totally fine for quite while. After a few hours one of them started panting just a little so I gave her a brief dip and she was fine again.

I don't think they were extraordinarily hot because although they were panting they were acting fine otherwise but nevertheless, the remedy really seemed to make them comfortable. Of course their breast and bottom feathers stayed wet for a while and their was a breeze so no doubt that helped keep them cool after.

Worked really well, thought I'd share. Hope it helps.

yippiechickie.gif

That does sound like a good idea. I am in Texas and it was 98 here today. My chickens have a coop, outdoor run and a fan in the coop. They go in the coop in the very hottest part of the day and since it is well insulated, it does not seem too bad in there. Today, the darn waterer that I have so much trouble with leaked a little bit. The floor is about 3-4" of sand and when I moved the waterer to a better spot, they all went and rubbed and scratched around in the damp sand.

It's worth a try.

All of my birds pant non stop from June through September.

I got 3 eggs today. Two weeks ago I was getting a dozen a day.

This is my first summer with my hens/roosters. Now I have babies too. It can get up to 100 degrees in our barn, I keep a fan on and they have good ventilation, but they do pant. I am worried as I have also noticed a big decrease in egg laying...is it normal for them not to lay as often in this heat??

BTW - I did the thing with the mini pool by using a rubber horse pan feeder...they drank it

Last edited:
That may work fine if you only have a few little Foo-Foo birds with cute names in one of those little doll house coops, but when you have over a hundred breeders of LF birds, well that will probably not work time wise LOL.

I also make mud holes every day for them to sit in. They love it!! I water down the shady parts of their run in the early morning and they spend most of the day resting in the cool dirt. In the spots where they have dug out a "chicken sized" hole, the water sits like a pool until it sinks in. They come running when they see me dragging the hose into the run. Haven't had much luck with any of the other suggestions about freezing water jugs, misters, etc. But they love their mud pits:)

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly classify my birds as "foo-foo" birds. This IS Backyard Chickens Forum so my comments are for people who just have a few birds in a backyard coop. Obviously something like this isn't feasible for someone with a large breeding flock. I am sure you have ways to keep your birds ac cool as is possible.

Where I live we are allowed 5 chickens. I have been allowed six because of a screw up at the health dept. I also wouldn't classify my coop as a "doll house". It is a backyard coop designed for six chickens. It is the size it should be.

While I hope it was not your intent, your comments are a bit offensive. They carry the tenor that if we give our birds names and have a small coop and just a few birds we are not to be taken seriously. Well, again, this is a site for people with backyard flocks and in most cases, that is a relatively small flock. Most people in here are not running a commercial operation. We have a few birds because most people are limited by town/city ordinances where they live, we have small coops because you don't need large ones for small numbers of birds. We give them names because to us they are family pets just as much as the dog or cat but with the added benefit of giving us eggs.

Quote:
As I understand it if they are laying less (during full daylight months) they are probably stressed. Being too hot will certainly do that. I realize that with larger numbers of birds this may not feasible but with just a few it seems to really work. My girls were definitely happier after. I anticipate having to do the same tomorrow as it will be near 100. Thankfully a break after that.

If anyone tries this I'd love to know how you make out.

Thanks for the great suggestion Epeloquin...I have 50 chickens and that seems pretty feasible to me! Sometimes rude remarks keep others from sharing or posting ideas...thanks again and just keep on posting!

Back
Top Bottom