Great sexpectations - sexing 10 week old mixed flock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunny Side, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Sunny Side

Sunny Side Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Perth, Australia
    I have been meaning to post pictures of my chickens for the experts to tell me what sex they are, but only now am i getting around to it. This is my first little flock of chickens i have raised and they are a mixed flock so I've tried to keep in mind their differences may be partly breed, rather than gender indicators. They are about 10 weeks old now so i think it is becoming clear but let me know what you think. I have a feeling i'm going to be eating well this winter.. and i don't mean eggs [​IMG]

I have 2 Lavender Araucanas (easter eggers technically), 2 light sussex, 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte.

I’d be particularly keen to hear from anyone familiar with these breeds. Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This is Mo. I think she may be one of my only girls.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Viola: fairly red comb since week 4. possibly rooster tail feathers too?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    sussex 1
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    sussex 2
    I am not sure about these two. Sussex 2 has larger comb and wattles but they look fairly similar. I thought they were pullets until about 2 weeks ago, now i'm starting to think both if not at least one could be a roo. ??

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Plymmie: Very slow to feather, was fairly bald up until week 8. Very friendly and inquisitive. My favorite.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Wynnie: fairly certain this one is a boy. Developed very red comb and wattle early on. Slow to feather. But very happy to hear otherwise.

Thanks!

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the only pullet i see is the first lavender (self blue) one

pullet
    cockerel
    cockerel
    cockerel
    cockerel
    cockerel

3. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I am not that experienced....My feeling are all roosters except for Mo as well. They are all very upright and have large legs. Large combs and wattles. Sorry I think you only have one girl but maybe others who are more experienced will chime in.

4. Sunny Side

Jan 10, 2013
    Perth, Australia
    What a disaster. [​IMG]

5. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    where did you get them from? I got 6 from Tractor Supply most were supposed to sexed...I think I have 3 roos

6. Sunny Side

Jan 10, 2013
    Perth, Australia
    I got them from a local breeder. They were not sexed but i was hoping for better odds.

7. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    I would have been as well! Might want to invest in some more chicks. Mo will not do well by herself when you butcher the males. Sorry it didnt turn out better. I think I would talk to the breeder...she should have been able to help you get better odds.
    Wyandottes should be able to be feather sexed up to 3 days old and I believe Barred rocks have coloring to help tell the sex.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  8. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    I got some BLR wyandotte and Araucana chicks last year...I told the breeder I was planning on keeping 6 or 7 chickens. All of the araucana hens and 2 or 3 wyandotte hens all the rest would go. Guess what I got 2 wyandotte hens and 4 Araucana hens. All the other 15 chicks were roos. I think breeders can tell pretty decent on their stock who is who.

9. Sunny Side

Jan 10, 2013
    Perth, Australia
    I will definately get some more pullets to keep her company. I have been reading up on sexing chicks since i got them and my plymouth rock had all the tell tail signs that it was a boy from day 1. I know it's not an exact science, but I would have thought the the breeder would have had an idea as well.

10. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    It irritates me! When I ordred my chicks I asked if the chicks could be sexed and she said no....but the odds I got tells me different. I am hopeful you will get better luck on the next round!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by