1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great story about neighbor, frustrating story in general

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Buster, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I put on a movie last night and fell asleep. At 10:30, my doorbell rang and my neighbor was there holding one of my Blue Orp cockerels I hatched from MissPrissy. It had gone to sleep in his garage 2 properties down. So we went out and did a head count in the coop and I was missing my Blue Orp pullet. We looked around and found it dead in a dog house in the yard. For some reason, she didn't go into the coop with the others last night and she died when the temps dropped. [​IMG]

Out of that hatch she was the only pullet. Now she's gone. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, no! I'm so sorry, Jared. What a downer! [​IMG]

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks Cyn. I was on the verge of putting her into Geronimo's pen so she could adjust to being in with them, but was waiting until she was just a little bit larger.

On the good side, I'm really thankful for great neighbors. How many people would have just thrown the bird they found in their garage out in the cold and muttered about the neighbor's chickens? If he had done that, then both of them would have died instead of just the one.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Kudos to your neighbor. So many have chickens around me that mine may just adopt one of mine if they found it out somewhere.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:[​IMG]

Well this neighbor doesn't have chickens but he did when he was a kid. I've asked him many times if the birds bother him or his mother (she lives between us). He says they don't bother them at all, that they love watching them and that the birds keep the bugs down. Very soon, all of my birds will be fenced in (as soon as this coop is done), but it's nice to know that they aren't getting on anyone's nerves in the meantime (other than getting on MY nerves when they hang out on the front step all day and poop all over it!)

6. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Buster, sorry to hear that you lost your Blue orp. pullet [​IMG] it feels bad I've lost many and I still miss them but thats what happens when they don't go in to the coop.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] So sorry about your girl

but kudos for the neighbor that brought your roo home [​IMG]

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Jared~ Very sorry to hear about your pullet. [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    So sorry about your pullet! Kudos to your neighbor!

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks everyone. This was a hard lesson learned for me- Go out and lock the coop up and take a head count AT SUNSET!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by