great...the goats got into the chicken house

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, Feb 4, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    and between the 3, ate a small pan of chick grower..are they going to be ok???

2. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    yeah they will be fine...mine eat my chicken feed if they can get to it.....

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    They will be fine.

4. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ive read on here though thats it poisonous...is it poisonous or can it make them sick from sucking it down in one huge gulp like i witnessed them doing. one of them actually stomped her hoof at me when i pulled her out of a nest box! [​IMG]

5. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    I THINK SO. I don't know about if it was medicated?[​IMG]

My goats from time to time get into my chic pen and eat all the feed I have out. [​IMG]

I use Kent layer 16 from TSC and cracked corn. Also the 27% Kent for the peas and game birds. Never even had them(goats) act like they had a belly ache! [​IMG]

Hope they are fine just fatter!! Susan

6. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    nope, non medicated so that my duck can eat it too.
    yet...they act like their goat chow is nasty. weird creatures!

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It's not that chicken feed is poisonous to goats - it's that they think it's candy and snarf it down so fast that they can bloat. Bloating can kill them. Thus, it's always wise to keep them away from chicken feed. [​IMG]

8. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    The chic feed is much tastier than the goat chow. I haven't taken the time to look but I am sure it has a lot more corn in it and it is ground so it is easy to eat. Even my dog looks in the buckets when I feed to find and eat some.

9. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    My 2 goats actually live in the chicken pen and the goats eat whatever layer and scratch they can get off of the ground and the chickens eat whatever allstock is left over from the goats.

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:This is correct. But a "small pan" of chicken feed will not upset their systems (unless your small pan isn't small at all). And entire bag, on the other hand, can be very bad. (My goats love the stuff too, between them and my pig, I had to start locking the feed in my trailer...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by