GREAT Work Greeters!

Discussion in 'Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator

I just took a look into our "New Member Introductions" section and sorted by "Start Date":

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/new-member-introductions.44/?order=post_date

I was SO PLEASED to see pages and pages of new member introductions with each one having a bunch of replies!

It makes a HUGE difference to the new members to have a friendly and welcoming first-impression to any group, and even more so when it's online!

So a GIGANTIC :thumbsup to all those who greet our new members, especially those that take the time to write a nice custom welcome!!

(oh, and if you've ever been welcomed to BYC before, make sure to pay-it-forward and welcome a few others) ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I haven't been on as much lately, but I always do my best to give a warm welcome, because I remember how special it made me feel when I was welcomed!

3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

This is wonderful! I’ve been busy and tired, so haven’t been on BYC as much in the last few months. Seriously need to venture out beyond the emergency forum and welcome some new members myself!

4. ScottyGill

ScottyGill Chirping

I did appreciate the greetings. I’ve been to concerned about myself getting everything right to pay to much attention though I have tried but now my set up seems fine I can relax and enjoy learning from the forum and take part

5. cheekychick3

cheekychick3 Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    WEST WALES UK.
    My reasons for giving a warm welcome, to newbies, is the fact, we were all in the same boat once. lol Also love reading new members indructions, about their life ect. Especially
    if they have joined concerned over their animals, and need help. Sooner or later their
    replies come flooding in. So thank you BYC for making all our lives more worthwhile.#
    :thumbsup

6. N F C

N F C Marbles...I found mine!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Nice of you to notice Nifty!

When I'm working 6 months of the year, it's tough to do as much greeting as I like but you're right about the new members appreciating it. So I'll try to squeeze in more when I can.

Big round of :clap to all the great greeters that take the time to give a personal welcome to the newbies!

7. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I spent quite a bit of time welcoming new members for a while, and I admit I enjoyed learning about them :) I use fully custom greetings whenever possible.

Some of the longer greetings would be so much warmer if they were personalized, I see a lot of copy-paste greetings. :hmm But otherwise, great job!

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    :oops: I’m a baaaaaad BYCer. I don’t usually do the welcome thing because....well...frankly I stink at it. The past year has been brutal as far as our travel schedule goes (as @N F C can attest), so even if I was clever at ‘welcomes’ I’d be sporadic with them at best. I guess I’m another one who doesn’t care too much for canned greetings, even though the information they contain is helpful. I guess I just figure that as quickly as folks respond, and with as many responses as our new members enjoy, anything I could say would just be fluff.

Instead, when I do get BYC time, I tend to visit a couple of chats, and then scroll through the ‘new posts’ and help if I can. I usually remember to check to see if the person with the question is new, and welcome them then. It might just be me, but I think that when newcomers’ first posts are about something that’s concerning them, they want answers now, and friendly greetings later. That’s not the case with folks coming in and introducing themselves so I let the “experts” excel at that. Um, am I fired?

N F C and 007Sean like this.
  9. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Crowing

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    I try to greet when I notice, but I totally agree with you about the stressed out people looking for answers being frustrated in only getting replies on the welcome thread. When I joined, I’d been lurking for months so was already pretty familiar with the site, but I had a hatching emergency that I was hoping for help with so I just skimmed the greetings and looked for responses to my hatch problems. I do see many people join who area not in a panicky mindset, and those are the people whom I try to say hello to, especially if we have something in common.

007Sean, Blooie and penny1960 like this.
  10. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I try as much as able think it best way to promote the helpful willing to shake a hand

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: