Greater Yellowstone Trip

OutInTheStiks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Thorn Hill, TN
Several months ago we began planning a trip to the greater Yellowstone area. I asked for suggestions here on BYC and received several great responses. After much planning and thought we arrived home from our trip two weeks ago. We flew into Denver and then drove to Keystone, South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore. Day two took us to Devil's Tower and on into Cody, WY. On day three we finally arrived in Yellowstone where we spent the next 4 days. I have to say that Yellowstone is probably the most amazing place I have ever been. It may have taken me 32 years to make my first trip there, but the second and sunsequent trips will be coming much more often. When we left Yellowstone we spent a day checking out the Grand Tetons. Yellowstone was amazing, but the Grand Tetons are the most beautiful place I have ever been. The view from the lookout on Signal Mountain is simply awe-inspiring. Pictures and words could never begin to express that view. Our final day took us from Jackson Hole, WY back to Denver. It was an exhausting trip, but well worth the effort.

I sorted through the 3000+ pics we took a chose a very few to share here.

Yellowstone640.jpg

Mt. Rushmore as viewed from the Avenue of Flags

Yellowstone885.jpg

Devil's Tower as viewed from the visitor's center.

Yellowstone957.jpg

On the entrance road to Devil's Tower there are several fields full of prairie dogs. We stopped to take some pics. While I waited on J to get the perfect shot, this guy popped out of his hole to read me the riot act for loitering in his front yard.

Yellowstone137.jpg

Taken in Yellowstone on the road between Mammoth Hot Springs and Tower Junction

Yellowstone2963.jpg

Upper Terraces

Yellowstone1638.jpg

Morning Glory Pool

Yellowstone1264.jpg

Lower Falls

Yellowstone2010.jpg

We were both looking forward to seeing Grand Prismatic Spring. Its somewhere off to my left in this picture. The weather was not very cooperative that day.

Yellowstone2649.jpg

There was still lots of snow on Dunraven pass.

Yellowstone348.jpg

Bison at Grand Tetons

Yellowstone335.jpg

Barn on Mormon Row in Grand Tetons.

Yellowstone303.jpg

Grand Tetons

We went in 2007 and saw the same places you did. The only problem was, there was no snow! Every picture I see of the Rockies shows snow - don't believe them!
We had heard so much about the Grand Tetons, but the day we were there, you couldn't see the tops of the mountains.
sad.png
no snow there, either
I loved Yellowstone and hope to return. Snake River Canyon was a pretty drive.
Your pics are beautiful.

Very nice photos! Many years ago we lived 80 miles from the east gate of Yellowstone in a little town called Meeteetse, WY. We have been all over that area and it is beautiful. We used to see wolves, bears (black and grizzly), moose, elk, antelope, mountain lions, big horn sheep, etc. all the time. One of my favorite places to hike was on the North Fork of the Shoshone River especially in the fall. The Grand Teton National Park wilderness area is a nice place to hike as well. DH and I used to be medical travelers so we got to live and work in a lot of neat places.

Last edited:
l Lived in Idaho for 10 years and never went to Yellowstone. After I came back to Texas and redmarried we have been to Yellowstone 4 or 5 times. WE love to go to Jackson Hole. We go before school is out that way the summer rates and crowdes havent started. JH is just to crowded any more. Last time we went to Deadwood SD got 6 foot of snow over night. One year we spent 5 days hanging around to see Mt Rushmore the clouds just would not go away. We finally got to see it after we gave up the clouds parted on our way out of town. The MT. is cool in the cloud cover Your pix are great. I know what you mean when you said you took 3000+ pictures. Hope you get tp go back soon. We are wanting to go next year.

have fun
piecemaker

Back
Top Bottom