1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greatings and Salutations!! Hello from Florida!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wornoutmomto3, Nov 13, 2015.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I thought I had posted in here, but apparently I did not. So, here goes with a little about me, my family, and my flock. [​IMG]

We aren't Florida natives, but DH and I met in central Florida, married and had the first two kids in there. The third child was born in Kentucky after DH became a fulltime Army-man. A few years ago, due to medical issues, DH left the Army for civilian life. We settled in North West Florida, in the "small" town of Pensacola. (LOL, small, I "crack" myself up.)

I always loved the country life style; the farm animals, the peace and quiet. It didn't take long for me to find the nearest feed store. To my surprise they actually sold chicks there... and HAD some! There was a nice little sign posted that explained that a recent law allowed hens within city limits. SOLD! Of course I went home with my new little brood of 6 Black Australorp chicks (I mean pullets. I was learning words I never new existed, how fun!). I mean who wouldn't just fall head over heals for these cute little creatures. Every couple of weeks the feed store would have new breeds, and I would have new breeds added to the growing flock (two by two, lol).

After the initial excitement eased up a bit, reality set in. I had no idea what I was doing! Quickly, I devoured books and articles and google searches building up a pitiful knowledge base to hopefully raise healthy happy chickens who would give me lots of laughs (and of course eggs). I learned how to build a box on stilts, I mean a coop. I also found out that chickens have junk food like people, just not potato chips and pretzels. Who would have ever thought of corn as "junk food" and meal worms and "candy," chickens apparently. lol.

With my growing obsession (raging if you ask DH) we were quickly running out of space on our 0.6 acre property. I love my DH so much. He found a beautiful property in North East Florida with 5 open acres, far from the city. It was perfect so my enabling DH moved the family so I could "expand." LOL!

We currently have about 30 chickens, 7 ducks, 3 Muscovy, and 2 male goats (bucks, I love new words don't you. lol). We are expecting two more goats (doelings) in the spring from a local breeder. DH hasn't weighed in or not, but I might get three or four... hehehe. Not sure how much longer 5 acres will contain me (a.k.a. "the madness" lol), but we will see.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A belated welcome to BYC. Sounds as if you are doing well.

3. gander007

gander007 Overrun With Chickens

Alright [​IMG] great to finally have you introduce yourself here [​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC (formally). Glad you decided to join our flock. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC (Kinda [​IMG])!

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Five acres should last awhile - go for it. What breeds do you have now ? Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    Hi, I've seen you around and now we can finally "officially" meet! Nice introduction [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop

I've swapped out a few so let me see...

Road Island Red, White leghorn (These are in my breeder pens since they are pretty popular around here. I have to start selling chicks/eggs to offset the feed costs. DH is starting to catch on to my "I'm growing the flock for better sales" excuse. lol)
    Ancona (just added 2 started pullets)
    Cream legbar, barred rock, red sexlink, salmon favorelle, Egyptian fayoumi, silkie mix, roadbar mix, buff Orpington, EE, OE, english game, and speckled Sussex mix (main flock for looks, laughter, and eating eggs)

I am hoping to get a Delaware breeding pen going next spring. I had them in the past but lost them when we moved.

Edited because I forgot to add the duck breeds.
    Pekin, Cayuga, Black Runner, and Rouen

The goats are (supposedly) Pygmy goats, but they act as if they are the largest animal in existence. Still, they are super human friendly. I plan on using them at my church's fall festival next year. They are putty in your hand for licorice treats.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by