Greatings from Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RosemaryC, Mar 1, 2015.

1. RosemaryC

RosemaryC New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Hi I'm Rose from Melbourne. I have been keeping chickens for about 4 years. I have had two flocks, gave away the first when I moved house. My girls have their own area under a large Mulberry tree. Unfortunatley they have eaten all the grass, but there is plenty of dirt to scratch. I have them in a coop where they roost locked away from foxes...which are well known in suburban Melbourne, have lost one to fox! (one naughty chook not in the coop that night!). Right now I have a pretty sick girl, I think probably Coccidiosis, so have isolated her. I think she will die today , I didn't recognise her behaviour until yesterday, and its been a week...I thought she was just broody and molting! I had just successfully treated a prolapsed ovum in another girl...who then dropped dead about 2 weeks ago. Every one else is good...that is only 3 now. I really enjoy the chooks but they are really to supply us with eggs. Any way the pic is of the healthy chook! Just Isa Browns but nice. Cheers Rose

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Welcome to BYC!
    Hope.enjoy it here!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your losses :hugs hope your sick girl recovers.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Sorry for your losses, and about your sick hen. [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry for your losses![​IMG]I hope you sick hen turns out okay.

7. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]welcome

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day and welcome to Backyard chickens. BYC has a large aussie community and a great thread called "Australia, six states and one funny little island." I mention this because medications may have a different name in your country. I'm sure if you post on the thread someone could tell you what the treatment is for coccidiosis. I would think if one has it the others may be developing it as well. Isa browns are good layers, I hope the rest of your birds will remain healthy. Foxes are a big problem in this country as well.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  10. oberresford

oberresford New Egg

Jul 17, 2015
    Hi Rose,

I'm based on the West, Laverton way and have just taken on two Isa Browns. Its my first time keeping chickens, and having lots of fun.

Any tips you can give would be appreciated. At the moment I only have one laying, as the other one stopped a few weeks ago. They both seem healthy and I have given them some worming solution in there water and some lice powder. I guess its just a case of waiting. Also do you ever bother with any heating especially now in the winter months, I haven't so far as I assume it doesn't get cold enough here?

Cheers,

-Oliver

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by