1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greedy Emu and New Male!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Tame Emu Guy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Tame Emu Guy

Tame Emu Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Greedy Emu and New Male!

I am confused: Greedy has turned up with a male. It’s so tame that I assumed at first sight that it was Boy Emu without the chicks. It came to within fifteen feet of me right off the bat. But it’s not Boy Emu – that is, notwithstanding the absence of the chicks, I think it’s another bird.

When I’m feeling better, I shall start a register. I have found several times that a bird that I think I know well – like Boy Emu – becomes hard to recognise in a different context.

(He has markings like ‘speckles’ on his neck. He shall be ‘Speckles.’)

Hey, Emu Hugger – here is a wild bird on its knees. It’s both a personality trait and a sign of tameness.

Supreme Emu

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG]

Love the picture! My Fred gets on his knees alot. He is VERY tame!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

He's a cutie...... :D

4. Tame Emu Guy

Tame Emu Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Ya know, Emu Hugger, yet another of the things I haven’t paid attention to is the difference in the size of the birds, though I have from the beginning noticed how tall and skinny some birds are.

Do some birds just have bigger suits of feathers? Or are some substantially larger/heavier? I was over at Oudman’s this week. I saw a bird there that seemed remarkably big -- and remember Dark Emu? It’s the handsomest bird I’ve ever seen. If there were an Emu Show, much as I love G. and F., I’d enter Dark Emu: big, glossy, great body plumage*, and lush and symmetrical feathers on its neck and head.

The best birds breed first, don't they.

Supreme Emu

*Some birds have body feathers that look like feathers. Some birds – like Greedy – have body feathers – particularly on the breast -- that are more so a ratty suit of pinfeathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by