We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Green Acres is the Place to be.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BowChicaWowWow, Jul 17, 2019.

1. BowChicaWowWow

BowChicaWowWow In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2019
    Texas
    Farm livin' is the life for me! North Texas isn't very green right now, but you couldn't pay me to move back to a city. I currently have 1 indian blue peacock, born here, and recently bought 2 peahens to keep him company. He used to be free range but his range was dangerously large and he would often poop on neighbors' porches and cars :rolleyes: so he is in a peafowl-only temp pen with his girls.

I live next door to some family who also have free-range chickens and ducks and sometimes other chickens will roost in our coop, but I have a large shed with a large exhaust fan and an overhead patio heater for winter with a fence splitting it from the pig side and the goat side. The chickens (my 2 RI reds and visitors) don't seem to mind roosting on either side with the pigs and goats and all get along beautifully.

NOW comes the fun part - a coworker of my husband (city guy) had bought his wife a silkie hen to keep in the house as a pet. Well, turns out he's a rooster :lol: Can we take him? Husband says SURE. I knew nothing about this. They show up and it's a precious juvenile silkie!! I am more comfortable with animals that aren't quite so delicate. He is now in a separate temp pen with a random young white hen I put in with him to keep him company.

Sketching out some pen ideas this morning, trying to decide if I should combine peafowl and the fancy chickens in an extra large pen. Previously my peacock seems to entirely ignore chickens and vice-versa when free-range. Good idea? Bad idea? I'm afraid to allow much free-ranging as there are about 80 acres of woods and a dried up creek behind my property that hosts a lot of predators and haven't yet replaced the crummy back fence.

If you had 1 piece of advice about raising silkies, what would it be?

Anyway, glad to be here! :)

Attached Files:

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Advice about raising silkies ? Why get lots of them, of course. Good luck with your flock. I agree 'country' is the place to be.

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States,

Best wishes

Pork Pie

4. BowChicaWowWow

BowChicaWowWow In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks! Long-time reader, first-time member :)

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Your place is amazing! It looks pretty green to me.
    Good luck with your fluffy little addition.

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Glad you decided to join us!

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!

9. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Your peacock is beautiful! And I'll have to agree with Sourland...just get some more ;)

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the pulse beat of the chicken community :bowBACKYARD CHICKENS :jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: