Green Acres is the Place to be.....

BowChicaWowWow

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2019
Texas
Farm livin' is the life for me! North Texas isn't very green right now, but you couldn't pay me to move back to a city. I currently have 1 indian blue peacock, born here, and recently bought 2 peahens to keep him company. He used to be free range but his range was dangerously large and he would often poop on neighbors' porches and cars :rolleyes: so he is in a peafowl-only temp pen with his girls.

I live next door to some family who also have free-range chickens and ducks and sometimes other chickens will roost in our coop, but I have a large shed with a large exhaust fan and an overhead patio heater for winter with a fence splitting it from the pig side and the goat side. The chickens (my 2 RI reds and visitors) don't seem to mind roosting on either side with the pigs and goats and all get along beautifully.

NOW comes the fun part - a coworker of my husband (city guy) had bought his wife a silkie hen to keep in the house as a pet. Well, turns out he's a rooster :lol: Can we take him? Husband says SURE. I knew nothing about this. They show up and it's a precious juvenile silkie!! I am more comfortable with animals that aren't quite so delicate. He is now in a separate temp pen with a random young white hen I put in with him to keep him company.

Sketching out some pen ideas this morning, trying to decide if I should combine peafowl and the fancy chickens in an extra large pen. Previously my peacock seems to entirely ignore chickens and vice-versa when free-range. Good idea? Bad idea? I'm afraid to allow much free-ranging as there are about 80 acres of woods and a dried up creek behind my property that hosts a lot of predators and haven't yet replaced the crummy back fence.

If you had 1 piece of advice about raising silkies, what would it be?

Anyway, glad to be here! :)

Attachments

• 20160411_173237.jpg
    20160411_173237.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom