Green and marbled quail eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by titika, Dec 27, 2013.

1. titika

titika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found these a few days ago. I get the green ones every now and then(first picture) But have only ever seen the one blue and green one. It looks like a marbled egg. Going to blow it out and keep the shell I think. It is so pretty

2. JenandHerQuails

JenandHerQuails Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    Very beautiful! I've never gotten an egg like that! Do your blue eggs have tiny cracks in them? Whenever I get a blue egg it is always more fragile than the others. It has tiny cracks all around the top of the egg. [​IMG]

3. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    They seem just as strong as the other eggs... I thought about hatching them to see what the chicks look like but I like the shells too much to have them break

4. PinkBee

PinkBee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Southwest Florida
    If you keep getting these, you should hatch some. Imagine the market for quail that produce such interesting eggs!

5. JenandHerQuails

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    Hmmmmm Maybe my quails just need more oyster shells.... I tried hatching a blue egg before and it came out to be a golden female. She lays normal eggs with a blueish tint. [​IMG] The right egg is the egg she laid before and the left is a normal egg from another hen.
    [​IMG]

6. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    I get the blueish tint ones a lot. Not sure who lays then though

7. JenandHerQuails

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    To tell you can put a little bit of food coloring on their vent so when they lay the egg will be colored! It works well for me. Then I can hatch eggs only from a golden hen. Use a different color for each hen. It wears off after 2 or so days. [​IMG]

8. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    That's a good idea. That way i can figure out who is laying what eggs

9. PinkBee

PinkBee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Southwest Florida
    This may be obvious, but how do you do this? Qtips? [​IMG]

10. JenandHerQuails

Oct 5, 2013
    Derby, CT
    I tried a bunch of things. Qtips were one of them but they soaked up all the dye so it didn't work. I use small syringes. My mom is a pharmacist so she gets me some from her work. They look like this:
    [​IMG]
    You get a small amount of food coloring just in the tip then put it in the birds vent. Getting the bird to stay still is the hardest part. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by