green and red (blood or intentional shed?) droppings from 10 month old male silkie

eclectic-em

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Idaho
hello this morning as i was cleaning my chickens’ droppings i noticed a funky pile where my silkie roo slept last night.
D45B5137-F491-41B3-9209-CD66F744DD52.jpeg

D0D485A4-0FE5-442C-9F67-4F8E604AA74B.jpeg

i took him inside for observation while i post this and had two more
1D138E0A-4627-4338-BC7D-99D52A4007D3.jpeg

yes he was kind enough to aim directly into the sink
53EA97F9-64DF-4EE5-9C1B-E1F504C8D403.jpeg

i haven’t gotten him to eat yet i’m not sure if he’s nervous about being inside or not feeling well. he’s crowing as usual and doesn’t seem lethargic.
my flock had a respiratory issue going around recently and my vet gave me tetroxy for their water for about a week and it cleared everyone’s sneezes up. they got switched back to normal water on saturday (so 5ish days ago). he hasn’t had access to any green foods recently either so it’s not whatever he ate.
please let me know if you have encountered this before or have any advice!! thank you!

I would give him a round of a broad spectrum antibiotic. The poop contains more than a harmless amount of intestinal shed and also some blood, it being ruby red while the shed is red-orange in color. The green is bile from not eating.

This points to an infection in his intestines. Worms can cause this so worming him should be part of his treatment, along with the antibiotic to counter bacteria that takes advantage of inflamed tissue in the intestines.

I would give him a round of a broad spectrum antibiotic. The poop contains more than a harmless amount of intestinal shed and also some blood, it being ruby red while the shed is red-orange in color. The green is bile from not eating.

This points to an infection in his intestines. Worms can cause this so worming him should be part of his treatment, along with the antibiotic to counter bacteria that takes advantage of inflamed tissue in the intestines.
what specifically do you recommend? like that i can either go get or inquire with my vet for?

This is a question you need to run by your vet. Most of the time, the type of bacteria that takes advantage of intestinal inflammation is E.coli. The tetroxy your vet has prescribed should treat it. However, if this rooster continues to have the excessive shed and blood in his poop, it may indicate the E.coli is resistant, and another antibiotic might be required, either in tandem with the tetroxy or to replace it.

I suggest two things. First, keep careful watch on his poop to determine if the tetroxy is having an effect or not. Second, do have a chat with your vet about this and see if they have any recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom