Green Arm joint

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hughbaby farm, Dec 30, 2014.

1. hughbaby farm

hughbaby farm New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    I have raised my first flock of Cornish Rocks and Red Ranger chickens. We slaughtered the Cornish Rocks about 2-3 weeks ago, upon plucking we noticed a couple that had a green tint at the wing arm joint and some at the breast bone area. What is this? Needless to say I threw those out. Also, what can be done to stop this?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

The first time I saw that, my eyes almost popped out of my head.

There are a couple of different causes. I only remember the one that applied to my case ( [​IMG]sorry).

Bruising in poultry makes the meat that terrible green zombie color! So, if the rooster is a bit too rough with the hens, or there is some kind of injury....... green zombie flesh! [​IMG]

I just cut out the bad part and ate the rest.

1 person likes this.
  3. woodduck farms

woodduck farms Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2014
    yup freaked me out as well the first time.we raise and process white broilers for our needs. we all strive for active birds. the green bruising is a result of over activity. excessive wing flapping and the like. our birds come blasting out of the coop with some flight and a lot of wing flapping. I turn those birds with this condition into dog food after cutting out the bruising. although im certain there is nothing wrong with the rest of the effected chicken and its all in my head this is how I handle it. just my 2 cents.

1 person likes this.
  4. hughbaby farm

hughbaby farm New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    Thanks, it freaked me out cause I thought I had an infected chicken... But this seems to be a common thing. Ours would come flying like crazy out of the coupe as well, it was so funny to see these little fat things running at you :)

5. woodduck farms

woodduck farms Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2014
    quite funny to see!i only mean the butterballs attempt at flight not the green arm joint . just to clarify.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

yep, the kids and I found it rather shocking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by