Green Bean Plants??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 7cutechix, Oct 3, 2009.

1. 7cutechix

7cutechix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Will my chickens eat the plants? I've given them the giant beans that I didn't get to in time and they LOVED them... can I rip up the plants and will they eat them? Just wondering. I'm not a fan of extra work for no reason!

2. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Shoot why dig them up, can you let the chickens in the garden? If not just dig up a couple of plants to see ifthey'll eat them.

3. 7cutechix

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    They aren't free range yet, we are building a new chicken coop and once they get used to that I'll probably let them out a bit.....HEY, I just re-read the "treats" chart and saw NEVER FEED raw beans......does green beans count!!??? Have I poisoned my chicks?

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Green Bean are OK. Raw beans refer to pinto/navy etc. That kind of bean.
    I did a quick google search for green bean plant toxicity and didn't find anything.

Imp- I used to chop up the sugar snap pea plants after picking

5. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    We feed raw green beans. Never thought to try the plants, though.

6. kyliekobe

kyliekobe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2009
    Kailua
    I just planted 4 green bean plants in my raised garden bed, and all 4 were eaten by the end of the day:(. Darn chickens...oh well I'm happy that they found something else to eat...anything for those chickens.[​IMG]

7. 7cutechix

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Thanks so much, I feel much better. They really liked them! And I have more green beans growing on the plants still. I thought for sure they were done, we had a soft frost. They'll appreciate the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by