1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Green beans?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RubberChickenLubber, Mar 15, 2008.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I know dried beans have to be cooked before you give them to chickens. What about green beans?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have tried giving mine cooked and raw green beans before. They say No and want something else. [​IMG]

3. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    Quote:Good to know! I was thinking about planting green beans this year for my girls. Maybe I'll go buy some fresh first and see if they'll even touch them. I personally don't like them so i could have been stuck with them LOL

Its thawing here and its time to get ready for spring! I'm heading to the seed store today!!!!

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Mine have eaten leftover cooked green beans before, the stringy ones...cooked with butter, lol! could be why they liked them!! [​IMG]

5. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Thanks all, I'm still planting them for us. I like picking beans for us while their small and tender, but many will get missed, so I may still try to give them to my chickies.

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Mine go crazy over green beans! My ducks dont like them too much, but the chickens LOVE them.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Mine love it when i cook the greenbeans with bacon it them.[​IMG]

8. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    My Bantam Cochins and Top Hats love cooked green beans. They will fight over them...I haven't tried fresh ones yet, I will when the garden comes in. But, they do not like Cheerios. Lots of people have tried those and I bought some and it was a no no for my girls! [​IMG]

9. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

I now that I have fussy chickens, but are you saying that now I have to cook the green beans?[​IMG]

10. 11mini

11mini Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    My chickens love fresh green beans almost as much as mealworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by