Green Broke ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NYboy, Nov 14, 2010.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    In simple terms, what is green broke? Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It means a horse has had the beginnings of being broke to ride, but still needs a lot of work.

3. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    It is a horse term meaning ridden but with no training. It has just been broken in but doesn't know anything yet except to let a rider sit on it.

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

In other words, experianced riders only.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    It means recently/barely broke. The horse has been saddled, bridled, and rode a little bit, but hasn't been taught the various commands yet. Most are only for experienced riders.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    "Green" means inexperienced -- has been started on <whatever activity> but is still low-mileage and a lot of education remains to be done. So for instance, "green hunter" divisions in a show are for horses new to showing over jumps. The term is also sometimes applied to people, in various situations.

"Green broke" is sort of the most basic condition of greenness -- newly started under saddle, and thus barely a novice at ANY sort of work.

Although realistically in higher-priced horses it usually means "reasonably well started but needs finishing and mileage", whereas in cheaper horses it usually means either "I sat on him twice, and the first time he didn't even buck me off" or "we've done a considerable bit of work with him but have run into problems we're really stuck on, so since he won't canter without bucking or keeps running back to the barn or tends to run away at unpredictable moments, we are calling him green broke in hopes that some sucker will overlook these little things as apparently being mere inexperience" [​IMG]

Pat

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It means he may let you ride him or he may break your neck...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  8. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG]

9. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Under the best of circumstances green broke means has been started. Under the worst of circumstances when spoken by someone less than trustworthy it means any thing from "just started" to renegade that can hurt you and I will take no responsibility. I once bought a mare that was represented as green, she seriously tried to hurt me many times.

10. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    It means the horse has been saddled and sat on.

It kind of depends on what sort of riding the person you ask does, but basically, the horse will know the cues for picking up a walk, trot and both canter leads.

He may not be rideable on a trail or by the side of the road, at a show, or by a novice. He isn't necessarily used to most sights and sounds and may be afraid of crossing rivers, streams, roads, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by