Green Chick from McMurray?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DrinkTheRainbow, Jan 1, 2011.

1. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    We ordered some chicks from McMurray summer of 2010 and they didn't grow much but there was a greenish chick. I called them and they said I had to give them a picture. I couldn't get the picture because I forgot where the camera was and then it died of the cold a few months ago. It started turning white, I was wondering could it be a Leghorn? I was wondering shouldn't they also know what breed it is because they raise it?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Green? I bet it was a very rare Martian Maran. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Was the whole chick green or just part of it? If it was just a little green that would mean it was marked as a packing peanut.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2

Often hatcheries will mark their extra "packing peanuts" (roosters) with a colored dye, usually green.

5. Kenshan1

Kenshan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I bought 4 chicks from a guy that mass ordered chicks, not sure from where though. One was a white chick with greenish legs, the guy told me it was an EE. When I got it home I found it liked to peck the other chicks & pull out feathers. We had to keep it away from the other chicks so we were handling it alot. I noticed its under feathers were green. Since it was so hard to keep it away from the other chicks we sold it to my client friend. The chicks we got from this guy, the 3 we have left are still small but the GLW even though much smaller then my SLW is actually laying now. About a week or 2 of her having it the chick just up & died. She found no reason for it but she also had 2 other chicks of her own die. So the chick was about 2.5months. Here's a picture of my/her chick. You can kinda see the green tint to the under feathers.

Shannon

[​IMG]

6. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Skin can turn green if it's bruised. I had a little chick with a wing injury that had bright green skin, but after she healed, she is back to pink.

7. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Quote:A bit OT, but did you not know how to care for your chicks? What do you mean they didn't grow much? Did you keep them warm? Sorry if I'm just confused....

8. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Quote:A bit OT, but did you not know how to care for your chicks? What do you mean they didn't grow much? Did you keep them warm? Sorry if I'm just confused....

We kept them outside in a pen with a house with a lot of plants and insects and they ate them all and everything, but when we ordered the chicks the time it usually took them to feather out seemed to take forever.

9. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Quote:x2

Often hatcheries will mark their extra "packing peanuts" (roosters) with a colored dye, usually green.

Oh...I didn't know that...

10. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    How about chick starter feed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by