'green' coop with dog run??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MWchickens, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MWchickens

MWchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    hopefully the link below will work..my parents in law made this coop for my 40th birthday... FIL never having made a coop before in his life I'd say this is a fabulous coop;)the dog run was purchased at an estate sale for 25$ the wood on the completed coop is freshly lathed cedar fencing also gleaned at an estate sale~FREE~...the press board and such were not free..the window on the side of the coop 2 dollars....
    enjoy! I know I do!!![​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploadimg_view.php?view=gallery

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    The link takes me no where, dying to see it ! I am also using a kennel for a run

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I heard cedar was risky for birds, toxic?

4. MWchickens

Apr 17, 2011
    Oh yes you are right cedar on the inside is a no no for the ladies..but the cedar we have is nailed on the outside of the press board walls...
    Let me see if I can get the pics up for you

[​IMG]..I did upgrade to golden feather member to get my pics to show up [​IMG]

TA DA!!![​IMG][​IMG]:woot

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  5. MWchickens

Apr 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and there you have it the 're-Coop' [​IMG]:lau:lau

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Cedar fence or cedar walls is generally OK. Once the boards on the outside dry out a bit they don't even smell much anymore.

The problem with cedar shavings is that they have so much more surface area and that they are frequently changed out/added to/stirred up so you're constantly getting a lot of cedar oils in the air.

7. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    My brooder and my coop is made out of cedar and my chicks are fine. They are 3 mos old now! I've heard that you just can't use shavings!

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Is there any ventilation for them once inside? It doesn't look like there are windows or anything running around the top for fresh air exchange.

And is that a public road behind the coop or your driveway?

I am so paranoid about people letting my chickens out since it has happened a few times. Kids could come along and bang on the fence, dogs running around it and barking, stuff like that. I live on a farm and still have to deal with it. I hope you do not have these problems.

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Nice job.

Cedar itself is not an issue. Cedar shavings are.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The concrete blocks(?) the fence is sitting on - have openings in the middle - small critters could get into that and then into the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by