Green Egg Candling...I CANT SEE!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Jan 20, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I am unable to see through my green eggs. They are supposed to be fertile and I've had them under my silkie for 5 days now. How can I tell if they are fertile and growing if I can't see through the egg when candling?

2. mountainwhisper

mountainwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Southwest Virginia
    I couldn't see through mine either but I knew they should be fertile from the breeder and I just left all of them in the bator. A temp spike killed them a day before lockdown, but when I checked 11/22 had fully developed. I could tell by weight later on that they wer growing. I've heard when you use a hen that she knows and will push out of the nest the eggs that aren't developing. I'm planning to use a broody for this next try. Maybe someone with more experience will have more imput, but I tried every brand of flashlight known to man and my green eggs were just too thick or pigmented or both to see a thing.

3. sweety tweety

sweety tweety Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    cut both ends of a green bean can and put a 100 wat light at the one end cut a piece of card board to fit at the other end with a small hole in the middle the size of a fifftycent piece ,plug it in ina compleatly dark room and candle eggs in two weeks after incubation you will see the blood veins forming if not its a dead egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by