Green egg color gene question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by showbarnmom, Nov 8, 2013.

1. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Just hatched 5 chicks from blue eggs. They are frizzled Cochin x EE mixes. 99% the majority if not all are from one hen that I have that lays blue eggs. She's GLW x Americauna mix, but has yellow legs, instead of slate. The 5 chicks that hatched are all feathered shanked yellow legged. (Rooster has pretty feathered legs, and is frizzled.) I am sure I won't know for sure what color, but what is the likelyhood this chicks will lay blue eggs? Is the blue egg gene a dominate one? IE : If they hatch from blue eggs, they will lay blue eggs?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The blue is dominant. But if the rooster's genetics are from a brown egg breed his offspring will likely put a coat of brown over the blue resulting in a green egg.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

X2

4. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Any blue egg laying hen that is mixed with a brown egg gene roo will lay green.

5. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I just went back and realized I put green and blue. *sigh* Oh well. I am glad you got it lol.

My goal is to have Frizzled colored egg layers. So green is great, too! I have not ever had a Cochin hen, are their eggs cream brown, or darker, like a RIR?

I also have a maran, and hopefully soon some welsummers to add to the colored genes.

6. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Thank you everyone! I knew if I kept my Maran roo, he would make olive eggers, with my blue egg hens. Just wasn't sure about the cochin egg influence.

7. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    My cochins lay a light brown/ cream colored egg.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Just keep in mind that both parents can't be frizzled.

9. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Nope, one smooth one frizzle. Don't want naked birds! Too chilly ! Lol

10. Morgan Jones

Morgan Jones Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    Am I correct in thinking you are asking whether all the female chicks will lay blue/green eggs?

If she is a cross between GLW & Amerucana & the father of the chicks is a cochin, then no not all of her pullet chicks will lay blue/green eggs.

All things being equal, statistically, over time, 50% of her pullet chicks will lay blue/green eggs, the other 50% laying non blue/green eggs.

The reason for this is that the autosomal dominant gene O gives blue/green eggs. Your Amerauacana ought to have had a pair of blue/green eggs genes, written as O//O. The wyandotte will have had a pair of the wild type non blue/green eggs written o+//o+. The offspring will each have inherited one of ech of these genes from each parent. Thus your blue egg laying mix has one of each type of gene i.e. O//o+. O is dominant thus she lays blue/gren eggs. However the cochin will have a gene pair which do not carry any blue/green egg genes i.e. o+//o+. So all of the offspring will inherit an o+ gene from the cochin father & will inherit either O or o+ gene from the mix mother. Those pullet chicks which inherit the O gene from the mother, will have a genepair O//o+ & will lay blue/green eggs but the pullet chicks which inherit the o+ gene from the mother will have a gene pair o+//o+ & will not lay blue/green eggs. The males will also have inherited an o+ gene from their father & either an O or an o+ from the mother & have an equal chance of having O//o+ or o+//o+ gene pair.

BUT assuming the Americana parent of your mix hen had a pair of pea comb genes (as well as the pair of blue/green egg genes), you will have a good chance of bing able to see which chicks will have inherited the blue/green egg gene. The reason for this is that the pea comb gene & the blue/green egg gene are close together on the same chromosome so, all things being equal, statistically 96% of all offspring which inherit the pea comb gene will also inherit the blue egg gene. So, you have a pretty good chance that the offspring which inherit a pea comb will also have inherited the blue/geen egg gene.

This may have been made a little more difficult to see, if the wyandotte father of your mix had a rose comb, which your mix inherited along with a pea comb, but essentially even if some of the offspring have inherited both rose & pea comb in the same bird, you ought to be able to see which birds have a pea comb irrespective of what other comb genes they may have inherited.

Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by