green egg from game?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KyleD., Feb 17, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    i bought 5 "game" hens from a guy and i just found a clutch of eggs 2 were brown and 4 we're green-blue???? another question they layed in a brush pile i pulled the brish up and found the eggs, will they continue to lay there?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

They can`t be "game" as that green/blue egg gene is not in gamefowl without help from Easter egger types. It is a dominant gene, however, and any of that blood that`s passed down will lay colored eggs.

As for the nest in the brush, if you left the eggs there they probably will. Depends on how much you disturbed the nest.

3. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    A lot of EE's have game in them. I have found that around here about 50% do. So you probably got some EE/game mixes. I guess technically you could still call them "game" my dh says that anything with game in it can be considered game, b/c of the fact that ppl who don't want game won't want them, ect. But they are not pure game.

4. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    thats what i was thinking. they are free range and i didnt disturb it to much just lifted some limbs up and sat them back down. the hen went in there to check it our and started making loud loud noises over and over. i put a small dog house right beside it with 2 fake eggs and a egg of her own, she checked it out somewhat but im not sure. will she lay there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by