Green egg layers

RoyalCoopMom

Songster
6 Years
Feb 13, 2015
St Louis
I would like to add a couple green egg layers to my flock. I only have room for a few and would like a couple Favacaunas. Anyone know where I can buy day olds in spring in small numbers? I am located in St Louis MO.

I would like to add a couple green egg layers to my flock. I only have room for a few and would like a couple Favacaunas. Anyone know where I can buy day olds in spring in small numbers? I am located in St Louis MO.

My Pet Chicken is the one with the smallest minimum orders that I am aware of. They are basically a "middle man", sourcing from a larger hatchery - so you avoid the larger minimum chick order issue. Alternatively, talk to your local farm store about their orders - while some will no longer do this, the smaller or mom-n-pop type stores are often willing to order in a small group of a particular breed if there is a request - your few can be in that group and then they can sell the rest (several places I have worked before have done this for our customers) - those that no longer offer this sort of service will gladly give you the information on doing a "special order" but those come with the very minimums you are trying to avoid.
Another option would be to identify others in your area who might want to go in on an order so that each of you can have the birds you want without any of you having to order birds you don't want to meet the minimum - or find a local breeder to get your chicks from.

Thanks for the info. I had discovered that MyPetChicken was the lowest minimums but wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed something. Was also hoping someone might come up with a cheaper option as well. Favacaunas are $22 each at MyPetChicken. Honestly I have't found many places offering them in any quantity.

The price is reflective of clever marketing, similar to designer dogs. You may do better looking locally to find someone who has jumped on the band wagon with their home flock.

Thanks for the info. I had discovered that MyPetChicken was the lowest minimums but wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed something. Was also hoping someone might come up with a cheaper option as well. Favacaunas are $22 each at MyPetChicken. Honestly I have't found many places offering them in any quantity.

That's because they're a made up thing developed by MPC, not a real breed. You may have a hard time finding a secondary source for them

I have a blue favacauna rooster and a black favacauna hen i also got 3 blue ameraucanas and 2 wheaton ameraucanas they will to start laying again soon let me know if you inteterested .
[/IMG]

If you just want a green egg for cheap, a green laying EE is the cheap option or seek out a olive egger as they are real trendy right now...
x2 Easter Eggers are cheap, but are often marketed as Ameraucana or Araucana. Just about every feed store that carries chicks in the spring will have "Ameraucana/Araucana" Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom