Green egg turned BLUE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Biddieacres, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    This is amazing to me. I have two EE. One lays an olive green egg and the other lays a light green. I thought once they lay green that is it. Well, I go in the coop the other day and there is the most beautiful BLUE egg! I was comparing all the eggs from the week and I am noticing there are many slight variations in color. Since then she is back to green and never laid a blue one again. But you have got to see this.

[​IMG]

This picture below shows the variations in color from only two hens. The blue one is on the top left pictured below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Amazing.

Are you certain another hen didn't sneak into the coop?[​IMG]

3. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    mine do the same thing... except i only have 1 ee so i know it isnt anyone else...

4. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    We were kidding around saying a robin flew in. Because it is a robin's egg blue. But nope. I only have the two at this time. Now I am wondering do hens usually lay different shades of egg color?

5. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I recently had a blue egg come from my EE too!
    She has always layed a green egg (neither light or dark)
    I dont know why this happens, but I know Im not selling that egg,
    maybe Ill blow it out and keep it! [​IMG]

6. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    I blew it out and it looks real pretty in my kitchen. [​IMG] I am not sure if you can tell in the picture but I see about 6 shades of green from 2 hens.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  7. TexGardenGirl

TexGardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    northeast of Dallas
    Ok I'm new to this - my first chicks are just 6 weeks so I've never had eggs yet. But I thought I read somewhere (probably on here) that the green color is actually blue with brown added. And don't brown layers sometimes have a random white or very pale egg? So it seems like a green layer could just occasionally be low on the brown portion resulting in blue. Just a thought...

8. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I'm totally jealous! [​IMG]

9. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    I have 3 EE girls that are about 6 mos old. They started laying mid-January. Up until yesterday their eggs were green (a couple variations of shades.) Yesterday I got one that was noticeably blue. I look forward to being surprised with more blue eggs. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Quote:yes, I believe you are correct that the green egg is blue with brown added. I read a post on here explaining the reason for blue eggs but I couldn't find it again. Maybe she was low on brown. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by