1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Green Egg Yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cutiekk17, Jun 4, 2016.

1. cutiekk17

cutiekk17 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2015
    New York
    For a while now we've been getting green yolks from a certain chicken. I don't know which chicken but the eggs that always have the green yolk seem to have a little swirl in them. Does anyone know what causes this? I've tried to look it up and i've read that cotton seed oil can change them. But they haven't been near anything like that and it seems like its only one chicken that lays the green yolk. They do get to free range for a couple of hours a day.

Also the green egg yolk doesn't smell but seems a little tougher than a regular egg yolk. I can't bring myself to taste it and see if it tastes normal though.

We try to set aside they eggs that we think hold the green yolk because we sell eggs every once and a while and i don't want anyone to get a green yolk!
    [​IMG]
    Here it is (dont mind all the little bits in the white, its jsut bread crumbs)

[​IMG]
    All the green yolks next to a regular yolk

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I've never seen this.. what you feed them? I would think it's there diet?

3. Daysiechicks

Daysiechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Have you been reading Dr. Suess's book "Green Eggs & Ham" to your girls by chance? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Are they getting into something?

5. cutiekk17

May 12, 2015
    New York
    I don't think they are getting into anything. I'm not reading Dr. Seuss book "Green Eggs & Ham"at night to them :) . I cannot figure out whats going on.

I do have a lily(which i know is poisonous) that's growing around an apple tree we recently transplanted into the run, which seems to be pecked at.
    But like i said it seems to be only 1 chicken that's getting the green eggs. Right now i have the whole flock (14) on chick starter because i have chicks right now. So maybe my 1 chicken is obsessed with a certain thing that makes her egg yolks turn green.

6. Rod-T

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    New one to me. . I hope someone will have a answer. .

7. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a rooster, the little bulls eye usually indicates a fertile egg. No idea about the green colour though, most possibly a plant

8. cutiekk17

May 12, 2015
    New York
    Oh yea we had 8 roosters, they recently went to to the soup pot though. It doesn't seem i'll find an answer about the green yolks...

9. sr26

sr26 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    not if you give up that fast! Let more people have time to read it, im sure someone has an idea whats up.

10. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hi
    I have heard raw acorns and/ or cottonseed meal can do this to egg yolk color. do you have any other livestock or animals that feed may contain cottonseed meal?

Dom

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by