1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Green egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AbisChicks16, Sep 19, 2016.

1. AbisChicks16

AbisChicks16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    I'm getting 3-4 of these blue green eggs a week. The only laying hens I have right now are 7 Brown leghorns and 3 Japanese Bantams. I'm assuming the leghorns are laying the tinted eggs. I thought they only layed white eggs..[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You must have a Easter egger. Maybe if you posted some photos it would help. Leghorn only lay white eggs.

3. AbisChicks16

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    [​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I see six leghorns, three Japanese, and the whiter one in back, it could be your green egg layer. Is that what you are considering the seventh leghorn? Unless I'm wrong???

5. AbisChicks16

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    The little white one in the back is a Japanese also.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Than you have 6 leghorn and 4 bantam? Sorry for my confusion. I can't quite see the one next together child's leg.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Oh this is way cool!

I suspect the green layers were someone's project or cross. For example a brown leghorn rooster crossed with a cream legbar(blue egg breed) hen will give chicks you can tell the sex of right at hatch(white spot on head- male, no spot-female) and the girls would grow up to look very much like brown leghorns. And... they will lay green/blue eggs.

I've seen comments here and there about crossing cream legbars with leghorns for various reasons- new blood or to improve egg production or just to make a line of green/blue egg laying leghorns.

Could be a surprise and it's the chabo laying those, haha..

by the way- all of my green/blue egg layers are naked necks. Got them through an egg trade was supposed to be trade of my naked neck eggs for their naked neck eggs and boy was I surprised at the green and blue eggs.. they look like regular naked necks otherwise.

Also by the way, the gene that makes green/blue eggs is dominant so if you hatch the green eggs, at least half of the daughters will also lay green or blue eggs. It doesn't really matter which rooster you use.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. AbisChicks16

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    I'm stumped. I thought I had 7 Brown leghorns, but the one that is molting has different color legs... Could she be my green eggs layer? I thought hens stop laying when they are molting. [​IMG]

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a Bantam Cross...She lays green eggs....I was a bit surprised to see the green egg myself.....I know its her because my other pullets have not started laying yet......

Cheers!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This could be an Easter egger. Hens do usually quit laying when they molt. that's some pretty severe feather loss! Can you get a better pic of her comb?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by