Green egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Joker, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Joker

Joker New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    About once a month I find a green egg in my nearing boxes. I'm not sure what chick I have could be laying it. So my question is, do golden lace polish hens lay green eggs or do yellow buff lay them. Thanks for the input.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    anything is possible with EE.

Sad though that it lays so infrequently

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Are you sure you don't have an EE in your flock?
    ETA - HA HA Mahonri, we were posting at the same time! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  4. Joker

Joker New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    Not to should completely dumb but what is an EE. My wife said I am chickened challenged for not knowing 

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    An EE (Easter Egger) is a "mutt" chicken. Basically it is a crossbreed with one parent carrying the blue egg gene. Typically the cross would be with an Ameraucana or Araucana. If you post some pictures of your chickens, the people on here might be able to ferret out which one of your girls is laying the green egg. Some of the give aways for an EE are green legs, muffs and beards. Not all EE's will have these characteristics. BTW [​IMG]

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    An EE is an Easter Egger chicken which is basically the hatchery's idea of an Ameraucana chicken. These chickens do not conform to the Ameraucana (sp?) breed standard and may lay pink, green, blue, white or brown eggs. Sounds like you may have an EE chicken.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    EE is a cross somewhat involving an ameraucana/araucana. The green egg gene should usually be dominant. But it's possible for an EE to lay any color egg. Sometimes if they lay another color, then they'll lay a green one here and there with it. Mine lays blue. Can we see a picture of your flock?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    So, to look for your Easter Egger culprit [​IMG] Look for a hen in your flock that has a pea comb (little bumps instead of a sawtooth edge) a possible beard under her beak, and usually a golden or brown coloration with little bits of black here and there.

Polish lay white eggs.

Your golden bird might be an Easter Egger.

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by