Green Egger or Amberlink? Roos?

2sisterschickens

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2023
North Alabama
Bought the white chicks in these pics from TSC as straight run Green Eggers but all pics I'm seeing of SGEs are darker than these. I'm starting to wonder if they are actually amberlinks? They were light yellow when younger, some with faint chipmunk lines. I can't remember what else was in the bins that day. Also wondering if they are all roos? The one that looks like a pullet was sold to me as a buff orpington a week before I bought the straight run chicks. Looks like she's actually the same breed as the others 😅
20230407_083352.jpg
20230407_083256.jpg
20230407_083359.jpg
20230407_083953.jpg

Last edited:
In your last picture I see 4 white roos and one white pullet. At least one of the two blacks appear to be pullets as well. I'm not terribly familiar with Amberlinks, but those sure look like them.

I have had a number of SGEs, and those don't look like them at all. But I also didn't have males. SGEs are usually sold as pullets for the green eggs, at least at my feed store.

ETA: There's definitely no buff orpingtons in these pictures. I'd say there's no white orpingtons as well, since your pullet's body type is wrong. She does look like an Amberlink, to the best of my guess.

In your last picture I see 4 white roos and one white pullet. At least one of the two blacks appear to be pullets as well. I'm not terribly familiar with Amberlinks, but those sure look like them.

I have had a number of SGEs, and those don't look like them at all. But I also didn't have males. SGEs are usually sold as pullets for the green eggs, at least at my feed store.

ETA: There's definitely no buff orpingtons in these pictures. I'd say there's no white orpingtons as well, since your pullet's body type is wrong. She does look like an Amberlink, to the best of my guess.
I agree. The one with the small, pale comb is the pullet, and the black one is a pullet as well. The rest are cockerels.

I think they are Amberlinks, which are bred for feather sexing, but obviously something went wrong or they were selling straight run.

That would definitely make more sense for SGEs to be sold as pullets. Thank you! I've had good luck at TSC in the past but had to use a different location this time and this store seems to be a hot mess. Won't be using them again without paying more attention!

I agree. The one with the small, pale comb is the pullet, and the black one is a pullet as well. The rest are cockerels.

I think they are Amberlinks, which are bred for feather sexing, but obviously something went wrong or they were selling straight run.
Thank you! Guess I'll have to try again another year for green layers lol

The TSC near my house is a hot mess too. They only seem to have one staff member that might know something about chickens, and they're never working when I'm over there, and don't educate anyone else. Then there's the workers who try to tell me stuff, and even as a new chicken keeper, they're obviously wrong. TSC is buy-at-your-own risk in my area. I've been much happier with Rural King.

Well you never know for sure with these hatchery hybrids. We're guessing Amberlinks but you'll only know for sure when they lay
Very true.

The other thing that occurred to me, is they look kind of like meat birds. But I don't know of a meat bird off the top of my head that matches these. If they get a lot more red in and grow out very stocky, I'd wonder if they're Ginger Broilers.

Very true.

The other thing that occurred to me, is they look kind of like meat birds. But I don't know of a meat bird off the top of my head that matches these. If they get a lot more red in and grow out very stocky, I'd wonder if they're Ginger Broilers.
That'd be nice if we could at least get some meat out of them. They seem pretty lightweight so far

Back
Top Bottom