Green eggs, buff, red-sex links???

JAA14

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
I’ve posted my “buff orpingtons ” on here because that is not at all what they were after they started growing, as im new to the chicken life I didn’t realize at rural king. Everyone said they were definitely red-sex links! Easy enough, but the plot twist is, they are laying light green eggs?! Now I’m confused!! Help a girl out. The chicken that laid this egg is the very first chicken pictured.

Attachments

• 3463F9AD-FA16-442F-A243-E5E05B59AAB7.jpeg
    3463F9AD-FA16-442F-A243-E5E05B59AAB7.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 284C9D91-9CB2-45D3-8074-229F00704DA9.jpeg
    284C9D91-9CB2-45D3-8074-229F00704DA9.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 14
I’ve posted my “buff orpingtons ” on here because that is not at all what they were after they started growing, as im new to the chicken life I didn’t realize at rural king. Everyone said they were definitely red-sex links! Easy enough, but the plot twist is, they are laying light green eggs?! Now I’m confused!! Help a girl out. The chicken that laid this egg is the very first chicken pictured.
I believe it's a starlight green egger. They can look a lot like red sex links but are a new strain of Easter eggers. Probably they are crosses with red sex links, which accounts for the similarity in appearance.

It's really a shame that the hatcheries are making all these hybrids now. They are making it difficult to tell one breed from another, and as a result mistakes are happening all the time. I wish they would just stick to the main breeds and the sex linked hybrids only.
I know!! They just keep making random crosses and giving them a name. Now some hatcheries are even grouping EEs! Sapphire Eggers, Snowy Eggers, Olive Eggers and Moss Eggers. Really they are all just the 'mutts' of the chicken world.

Back
Top Bottom