Green Eggs w/Warts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barnyard Dawg, May 27, 2008.

1. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    One of my ee chickens lays a green eggs with what looks like warts, I imagine it has something to do with calcium but they are not smooth like all the rest of our eggs, has anyone else experienced this.

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Yes those are just Calcium deposits.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    green eggs w/ warts

Doesn't that just sound like an appetizing breakfast? LOL

-Kim​

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got one EE that lays eggs with "warts" - they're usually on the small end, for some reason. I recently ran out of oyster shell, and she layed a couple of eggs without the warts; that clued me in to check the oyster shell dish and sure enough, it was time to fill it! Warts were back within a few days of refilling oyster shell.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    This is commom with pullets until their internal systems fully develop.

The eggs are fine to eat, and are the ones I keep for my family, and never place in my give away or egg sale cartons....just one of lifes normal imperfections. The hens are living beings, and don't lay perfect eggs time after time.

Simply use them yourself, and things will improve when the pullets become hens.

bigzio

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Bigzio, I wish that were true in my case! My girls are hens, not pullets, and the one that lays these eggs has always done it, from her very first egg. I actually DO sell them; my customers thing the occasional "odd" egg is neat! I must have interesting customers! HA! [​IMG]

7. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    green eggs w/ warts

Sounds like a Dr. Seuss book that wouldn't sell very well.

[​IMG]

8. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Milly lays 'warty' eggs from time to time LOL! But they're fine to eat [​IMG]

9. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I had some warty looking eggs a while back. My first thought was that must have hurt.

When taking them back to the house I discovered they were just surface deposits because I could pick and scrape them off with my finger nails and with no visible damage to the egg shell.

10. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    You should write a book!!! Dr. Seus made a ton of $$$ w/ the green eggs and ham! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by