1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

green feet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksinthemachine, Jul 8, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I have 3 chickens with green feet ranging in color from light to dark. What are these?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Most likely, Easter Eggers. Can you post pics?

3. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    yes give me a little bit and I'll get you a pic. Thanks for helping me. Tiffany

4. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    [​IMG]

5. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I am new to this board, but I was told the green footed chicks are Aracunas; we have three. They will lay green eggs!

6. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    They look just like my easter eggers who all have greenish legs and feet. Cool!!

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They appear to be Easter Eggers! You should have some nice, green eggs from them! Pretty girls!

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They aren't Araucana- Araucanas are rumpless chickens (no tails)

I vote Easter Eggers too - meaning they can lay pretty much any color egg, including green/blue, etc.

They are nice chickens - enjoy them!

This is my favorite article that explains the differences between Ameraucana, Araucana and Easter Egg chickens. What most hatcheries sell as 'ameraucanas' or 'americanas' are actually Easter eggers.

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-3/John_W_Blehm.html

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, I'm sorry, Arlee's right - I should have mentioned that EE's sometimes do not lay green eggs. In fact, my first batch of chicks I purchased from Mt. Healthy Hatchery, and while they are really healthy and grew up nicely for me, only 2 of the 6 pullets lay green eggs. Sigh. But, mine are awesome layers - most lay me 5-6 each week!

10. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    so the dark one is also an easter egger, I know that some of the ones I have(the lighter ones-in the background are) however they don't have green feet. I appreciate all the feedback and look forward to much more advice since I am a new egg:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by