green gobs in Araucana eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jgunby, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jgunby

jgunby New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    We recently aquired a flock of 12 laying hens, all past their prime. The oldest bird in the group is an Araucana, reportedly at least 3 years old. We have had the birds for over 3 weeks now and they have finally seemed to settle in and start laying. We have the birds on 14 hours of daylight and are starting to collect between 4 to 6 eggs a day. The Araucana gave us her first egg yesterday and when opened, it contained a yolk, cloudy egg white, and a greenish grey, formed, soft glob (about 2-3 cm long). We discarded the egg. Today, she gave us two eggs! Both had very small flecks of the same greenish grey, soft goo in the egg white (not nearly as large or well formed as the first one). What is this goo? Is she just too old to lay healthy eggs? I was surprised to get three eggs from her within two days... is it too stressful for her to be exposed to 14 hours light? Any advice is much appreciated. We have raised broliers and turkeys, but this is our first flock of laying hens. Thank you!

2. erner

erner Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't know what to tell you as far as greenish globs go, but welcome from Missouri!

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    [​IMG]

You might post your question in one of the threads. Good luck!

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

You might post your question in one of the threads. You might want to let them rest for a couple of months and turn off the light at least down to a couple of hours, If you want to keep them healthy and laying for a few more years. [​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  5. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    I haven't a clue as to the green goo. Try posting in the egg laying thread?

Oh! and [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Not much help but [​IMG]

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC from South Dakota!

[​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. You might try looking here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps020 Scroll all the way down to Table 4 where it mentions green albumens.

9. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC from Ohio! [​IMG]

10. Moonlight Piano

Moonlight Piano Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from GA [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by