Green grass for chickens in the winter.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by darrylv50, Mar 1, 2015.

1. darrylv50

darrylv50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I was thinking about growing sprouts for the girls this winter but the last time I was at Rural King I saw a 5# bag of grass seed for only a couple of dollars. I bought it and thought if it didn't work out for the chicks I would sprinkle it on my yard in the spring. I started it in a mason jar etc. like for the sprouts but it became all clumped up so I transferred the rooted seeds to a flat carryout food container and put it in the kitchen window. In a few more days I had some nice dark green baby grass. I have since started 3 more. The girls (I have seven) went wild. I now just start them in a flat container keeping it moist and placing it in the sun when it starts to sprout. I think it will work out well and it's very easy costing next to nothing to grow.
    [​IMG]

2. fish59

fish59 New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    That sounds like a great idea. You could use other type of seeds as well, things that chickens like and are good for them. You could actually make an inexpensive greenhouse out of clear poly sheeting and strips of ripped old lumber, grow grass, purslane, mustard greens, comfrey, under it, then turn the chickens loose every few hours per week. call it the play pen.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    The birds will likely try to eat any seeds that don't germinate so just make sure the seed isn't coated with a fertilizer/mold inhibitor/insecticide/etc. A lot of grass seed for lawns is.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. darrylv50

Apr 8, 2013
    That is a good suggestion. I just got plain old grass seed but you are right, many of them are. Thanks.

5. darrylv50

Apr 8, 2013
    I like that idea. May try it for next year because right now we are buried in snow. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by